window vs. portable floor model air conditioner

Old 06-01-18, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
window vs. portable floor model air conditioner

looking to buy new air conditioner and up in the air as to what kind to get window or portable, i'm am wondering on people's thoughts on the portable types, do they work as good as the window models, I've been reading about them and some people are happy with them and some are not, I always had the window models but thought the portable might be nicer. looking to get a 12,000-14,000. all info welcome. thanks jim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-18, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There are two kinds, one hose and two hose. One hose is far less efficient than the two hose type. One hose are cheaper and most common type sold by BigBox. The trouble is that one hose cool the condenser by blowing inside air over it and then outside. Not only does that remove already cooled air but draws in hot air from outside the room.

Two hose models on the other hand use the second hose to blow outside air over the condenser. Much more efficient so just say no to one hose model despite the fact they are cheaper.

Old 06-01-18, 07:06 AM
ok thanks, do the portable models cool the same as good as window models I've been reading up on them and it seems i'm getting mixed reviews on them, some say they work as good as the window models and others say they don't work well at all.maybe they are not using the right size to cool the area they want? do you use the portable and whats your opinion on them. thanks

Old 06-01-18, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As I wrote most sold are one tube because they are cheaper and those don't cool very well. When reading reviews be sure which kind they have.

Old 06-01-18, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
If you have a choice.... stay with a window unit.
Quieter, more heat discharged outside and usually less money.

A portable one is good if you don't have a window that will fit an A/C.

Old 06-01-18, 08:42 AM
ok thanks for the responses

Old 06-02-18, 02:31 PM
I'll second what's been said after buying a portable unit for the "window" aesthetics over a window unit.

1) What ray2047 is spot on. I guess I bought a single "hose" which only exhausts hot air outside. It pulls in a massive amount of outside air and all the heat and humidity with it.

2) The model I bought never turns off, so if the cooling temp is met, it's just a fan. However, it's not a recirculating fan...it's pushing inside air out...meaning it's pulling outside air in. I went to sleep and woke up with a 75% humidity reading...though the room was cooled. Almost suffocating.

3) Plus, it may say "portable" but you'll still need to be close to the window. It may have wheels to allow you to roll it from one room to another, but honestly taking a window unit from one window to another is not that bad. Just the air sealing you gotta worry about (something you also need to account for with a portable).

--
Wish I would've known there are intake/exhaust models available, but definitely stay away from exhaust-only models. I got the cheapest portable model I could find from Walmart, which was still $300. Years ago a $100 window unit did the job perfectly.

Old 06-04-18, 02:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lack of information when doing searches is a constant and very frustratin. People will report they have a Brand X ac which will not cool a room but not include BTU, temperature, humidity etc.

I found this very frustrating when trying to size a generator and window AC. A video showed one guy running a large AC with a 2000 watt Honda generator, I noticed he had a jacket on. He was demonstrating an AC gen set setup working in cool weather.

Old 06-04-18, 09:11 AM
I have a 2-hose portable. I did a bunch of research before purchase & bought the best-reviewed (and highest-priced) one at the time (Friedrich). Still--I've never been impressed with it's performance. I feel window units cool much better and are better at removing humidity.

The one thing I do like about the portable is for those really hot days the hose panel can be temporarily placed in a window without any modifications or even removing the screen. I prefer that to having a window unit sticking out all season.

Old 06-04-18, 10:10 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I have a home office that requires supplemental a/c and I was thinking about switching from a window a/c to a portable so sometimes I could open both windows and get some flow-thru. Thanks to this thread, now I realize what I need is another plan, not another air conditioner.

Old 06-04-18, 12:37 PM
after researching and responses from here i'm not sold on the portables.I think i.m going to stick with a window model, I know they work that's all I ever used, I just don't want to spend the money on a portable to find out it doesn't work as well, I do want to thank everyone for their responses. thanks jim