Central air leak

Old 06-02-18, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central air leak

I noticed water all around the furnace , so I took the drain pipe off and cleaned it up.....and that did not fix it..since that time I got inside and I am looking at the coil and drain pan. Looks pretty cruddy looking , but itís 22 yrs old..

so so I am thinking I may have a hole in the drain pan....Can you have a A coil replaced on a 22 yr old system ... or can it be taken out and repaired..
my whole heating and cooling is 22 yrs old , I guess if I am going to have to buy a whole new AC , I might better get a new Furnace also... Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-18, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
If the drain pan has a hole or crack in it, A sheet metal shop should be able to make a new one. I often have replacement pans made of stainless steel at a local shop.

Old 06-04-18, 07:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
You can cap the drain and poor water into the pan to test for a hole.

Did you shop vac the drain?
It will be easier if you cut the drain pipe and put the shop vac on the cut pipe.

Panseal is an option to consider if you have a small hole or crack in a pan.

Old 06-11-18, 05:26 AM
I did use the shop vac....good idea on just putting water in the pan , I was going to run it to see if I could find the drip..

if if I need a new pan...I will need to take the whole A- coil out, meaning unhooking the lines ....I guess I am going to loose all my coolant, any suggestions on unhooking the Ac lines at the Coil..

Old 06-11-18, 08:12 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
If you really need to remove the evaporator coil, I would strongly recommend that you get an A/C tech with the proper equipment to come in and capture your refrigerant. Your A/C is old enough that it almost certainly uses R22 refrigerant, which is no longer being made. While R22 is still available (old stockpiles), it is quite expensive. There are 2 reasons for capturing the R22. First, the savings in purchasing new R22 will likely pay for the cost of the technician. Secondly, and more important, knowingly releasing R22 into the atmosphere is illegal and contributes to global warming.

Old 06-12-18, 05:42 PM
Thanks very much..you are right, I will get a tech in and do it the safe and right way.....

Old 10-18-19, 11:03 AM
Question AC duct leaking, away from main unit

I have a real conundrum. My AC duct is leaking into a room two rooms from the AC unit (unit is in a closet in the living room. It leaks constantly and evenly (so we thought it might be condensation) but when it rains the leak gets WAY worse. Is it condensation or rain or both?? Anyone have a way to troubleshoot? I have searched roof above for leaks and laid down some sealant already.

Old 10-18-19, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
I would suspect it to be condensation. When it rains the humidity is higher & there's more moisture in the air to condense.

Old 10-18-19, 06:43 PM
After 22 years, a new system should be considered.

Old 10-19-19, 05:50 AM
Received 58 Votes on 54 Posts
Need a lot more info.
How is this system ducted.
Perhaps a picture of it would help. I have never heard of an A coil and blower in a living room closet!!!
Are you sure that this leak is due to the AC? Seems strange that it would leak two rooms away.
You say it leaks constantly so does it leak when the AC is not running?
Is it possible that you have a a leaking drip pan like the original poster?
How does the drip pan drain?
Etc, etc, etc.
This may be better fixed by getting a pro in as I think there are too many unknowns unless a person can see the actual set up.

Old 10-21-19, 05:58 AM
Ac

This is an old post , but I ended up replacing my whole system, along with a new furnace and AC condenser.
The old metal drain pan was a mess, there was more then just one or two holes , it needed to be replaced so being so old , we decided just to put in a new heating and cooling system .