AC wont blow cool air

Old 06-12-18, 11:23 AM
AC wont blow cool air

Looking to get some advice please.

I had a guy come out and clean the air conditioner out, do what they do. When i put the air on, it blows cool air for about an hour or two, if that. Then it just seems to blow regular air and the fan is not on. The problem I have is this thing is original back from 1953, but its a great AC unit. I have called trying to at least get a capacitor part number and no one has any information. When the guy was out he mentioned something about the capacitor, but didn't go into detail. He told me he has never seen one of these AC units before. Does anyone know where I can get parts here I can get parts here in Wisconsin? Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you

Metzger Machine & Engineering
Also has Milwaukee thermoflo under that

Model: TAPC0300
SN: 2751-21g

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-18, 11:29 AM
You mentioned that the fan turns off after an hour or two. Which fan are you referring to, the fan on the outside unit, or the inside fan (blower)? If you need a capacitor, you should be able to get one, as they are "generic". All you need to know is the capacitance (mfd) and the voltage. Both should be marked on the capacitor in the unit.

Old 06-12-18, 11:29 AM
I forgot to mention the capacitor has no numbers on it so i don't even know what size it is.

Old 06-12-18, 11:32 AM
The fan on the outside of the unit. No an expert on it, but it doesn't turn at all. The one inside at the top that im guessing blows the warm air out.

Old 06-12-18, 11:38 AM
You're correct, the fan on top of the outside unit blows air up. This serves two purposes, it pulls air through the condenser coil and secondly it cools the compressor. One thing you could try is the following. When the fan stops turning, try giving it a push with a stick or screwdriver. If the fan starts and continues to run, the fan capacitor is likely bad. However, since it's starting on it's own and then stopping after an hour or so, it's likely the motor that's bad. The bearings are probably bad and they're binding on the shaft after the motor heats up.

If you replace the motor, the replacement will state what value capacitor to use with the new motor.

Old 06-12-18, 11:45 AM
I will try this when i get home.
Thank you for the advice!