AC compressor not turning on

Old 06-16-18, 05:50 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
AC compressor not turning on

system is 3 years old- Rheem. Fan works fine. Outside compressor not turning on. Circuit is not tripped. On the thermostat next to cool it says “low”. Never seen that before. Floor is all wet around HVAC. Condensate pump has green power light on, but didn’t confirm if it’s working or not yet. If that’s the cause, would ac compressor not turn on?? Maybe a safety shutoff or something. There’s a code inside the access panel, looks like “hp” or “d4”. Depending on which way I look at it.

Called the 24 hour service (company that installed system) yesterday around 6PM and they never called back.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-18, 06:29 AM
D
Ok, I found the thermostat manual, “low” just means the system is calling for heat or ac. Able to pull fault code on thermostat, it is d4 - invalid memory card.

Another piece of information - we had solar panels installed in December, and final approval to turn on was just received. Ironically yesterday it started power production, I can hear ther inverted is on right now. Could this have caused the ac unit to malfunction?

Old 06-17-18, 08:13 AM
D
Update: company who installed HVAC came out yesterday and determined thermostat was not communicating with memory card and therefore not turning on. Until they can order a new card they swapped out thermostat with a non-communicating model so that the ac would run. It runs, however, another pool of water outside the furnace. I took removed the access panel and it’s actively dripping inside. Is that a bad coil?

Company already said I wasn’t responsible for the card replacement since they came out a year or so ago and replaced the entire control board.

So, sounds like I should shut the system down since it’s leaking inside? Going up to high 90’s today but thinking it’s unsafe leaking inside.

does this leak sound like a bad coil?

Thank You!

Old 06-17-18, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
The evaporator coil is supposed to drip water. It's supposed to follow the coil to the lowest point and then drop into a drain pan and then drain out of the pan.

Where is your issue ?
If you see it inside the unit... post a picture or two for us.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 06-18-18, 07:14 AM
D
Turns out the drain tube to the condensate pump was clogged. I tested the condensate pump by pouring water into one of the access ports and pump kicked on. Didn’t think the line from the drip pan to pump was clogged - original hvac unit was 13 years old and the drain line nevert cloggged before. Makes sense now, and that’s what prob triggered the card to go bad - all that water dripping though there. All working fine now, just waiting for new card to come in so they can replace original thermostat.