Smart Thermostat Install troubles

Old 06-17-18, 06:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smart Thermostat Install troubles

New here and frustrated. I see several threads on this issue but know every system is different so Im starting a new line in hopes on some help. Recently had a thermostat fail so I decided to upgrade two of my zone with Alarm.com Smart Thermostats, ADC-T2000. Some questions regarding wiring. My old zone 1 had separate blue and orange but the new unit has one spot for O/B. Called my HVAC guy and he said to only use Blue. No luck with that. Also there was a jumper from RC to RH but I see the new thermo has a jumper installed so I left that out. Ive been reading about "C" wires but don't have one installed as far as I know. Could that be the issue? System is only two years old. Bryant Boiler, air handler and condenser combo unit both heat and ac. Zone 2 has another wiring question. Existing thermostat has green wire in Y terminal. When I tried to configure on Alarm.com website I receive and error that Y cannot be connected without G. Asked my HVAC guy about this as well and he said to use G terminal instead. Still no luck. That zone also had a jumper between RC and RH and again I did not install that. Any thoughts on my wiring? Do I need a C wire? Should I just call a qualified HVAC installer for help? I appreciate any advice and will upload more pics, files were too big
Jon

Attached Images   
Old 06-17-18, 06:56 AM
J
additional pics

Additional pics of new thermostats. Disregard zone 2 red wire labeled RC, I labeled it wrong. It was originally installed in RH slot

Attached Images    
Old 06-17-18, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Post a picture of your zone control board that controls cooling. I only see a boiler control.

Old 06-17-18, 07:42 AM
J
additional pics

thanks for the reply, hopefully there are the pics you were requesting

Attached Images    
Old 06-17-18, 08:15 AM
J
even more

sorry realized that was not what you were looking for. sorry for the glare

Attached Images    
Old 06-17-18, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your EWC zone control board requires a separate O and B terminal for the zone 1 thermostat.

This can be addressed by installing an isolating relay.
It may also be possible to utilize the Z terminal for O/B zoning according to the manual.

Does the thermostat give you a display without common connected?
If not, you might check the batteries.

http://www.building36.com/wp-content...uct_Manual.pdf

Last edited by Houston204; 06-17-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 06:32 PM
J
yes display lights up and everything seems to function normal without common connected, that is aside from the system actually working.

Old 06-17-18, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the thermostat on zone 1 start the indoor fan?

I would connect orang to O/B
Connect blue to Z
Connect black to C at the zone 1 stat and zone 1 controller.
Configure for heat pump energizing O/B for cool mode.

Check if there is an option for the Z terminal used for zoning in the options menu of the stat.

Old 06-17-18, 06:59 PM
J
thanks for the reply. I will take a look at what you suggested tomorrow, although it sounds like we may be heading outside my comfort zone. Always up for learning something new though. Happy fathers day if that applies to you. Will check back in tomorrow

Old 06-17-18, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you. Happy Father’s Day to you as well...

Old 06-18-18, 08:10 AM
J
Thank you sir! I owe you a beer. Zone 1 seems to be functioning normal. Hard to tell if zone 2 is working because its a vaulted ceiling, but I should know shortly, its a hot day. Just want to make sure that you didn't see an issue with my zone 2 wiring. Green to G, Red to RH and White to W. No need for a C wire in each zone? One powers the entire system?

Old 06-18-18, 10:57 AM
J
On second thought Zone 2 still does not seem to be working. I can feel air coming through but doesn't feel as cool as it should be

Old 01-02-19, 11:01 PM
S
Hi Houston204/Jlarson78. I have similar issue as well. I have ewc-st-2d with two zones. Primary zone has heat/cool/off and fan auto/on switches and it controls the secondary zone. Primary zone has to be on (either heat or cool) in order for second zone to work. I would like to upgrade my old thermostat to one of the new ones (preferably ecobee4). I am also having the B and O connector issue. You mentioned there was relay that might resolve a similar issue. Will that same relay work for me as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: