Stuck TXV valve

Old 06-23-18, 01:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stuck TXV valve

Is there any way to free up one of these valves? I thought it was low on refrigerant, but the tech says no. No leaks anywhere, so that's his diagnosis. I see from the internet that this is a common problem. I just am not sure I can afford the repair, since the system will surely have to be evacuated. The refrigerant is $80.00 a pound, and I have no idea how much the system will hold.

Any idea what else can be performed?

Thanks

Old 06-23-18, 01:43 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
They should not release the refrigerant, but recover it. Then replace the TXV. Vacuum the system and put your old refrigerant back in.

Old 06-24-18, 02:51 PM
R
So I shouldn't get charged $80.00 per pound for the refrigerant? I'm retired, on a limited budget, so any savings I can get is a welcome savings!!!

Old 06-24-18, 08:49 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
A con man will charge you for it. It is illegal to vent most refrigerant to the atmosphere. There are occasions when system is contaminated (burnt out compressor) that the refrigerant is sent to the recycling center and new is needed. There were some compressors with bad oil that caused this as well.

Did the repair estimate state that you needed new or just a note saying if needed that was the price? You might want to find someone else to give you an estimate.

Old 06-25-18, 12:51 AM
R
He advised me in person. That's when he thought it was low on refrigerant. He checked the coils and lines, but didn't find a leak. He tried to add refrigerant, but the system wouldn't take it. That's when he thought it would be the TXV valve.

Old 06-25-18, 03:42 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
That’s not how you diagnose a TXV.
There was an issue a few years ago with Copeland putting an additive in the compressor oil that wound up causing TXV issues.
Your contractor should be able to run the serial number and tell you if your unit was one with that issue.
Ask your contractor what the operating pressures, temperatures, superheat, and subcooling were.

Old 06-25-18, 11:21 AM
R
I just spoke with him on the phone. The evaporator coil is not under warranty, just the condenser unit. The condenser unit was replaced in 2016, but the evaporator coil is the OEM unit. That would make it approximately 30 years old, which includes the TXV valve. He says it's a good idea to replace the evaporator coil along with the TXV valve. Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-18, 12:50 PM
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
You have a newer condensing unit, could you go out and look at the nameplate and verify what refrigerant it uses.
Based on the price quoted for refrigerant I would assume it's R-22. However it's not uncommon (unfortunately) to see 410a condensing units coupled to older r-22 evaporators which are not rated for the pressures generated by the 410a. Hopefully it's R-22 especially if your TXV is original. Let us know...

Old 06-26-18, 05:32 AM
R
It's an R410a unit, both the condenser and the evaporator. The tech and I seem to have a slight disagreement. He says the evaporator coil is original to the home, making it 30 years old. I have an installation manual for the evaporator coil dated December of 2013. He's claiming that the evaporator coil isn't under a warranty any longer. That may be the case, but I definitely cannot afford to replace it, as he wants to do. He's claiming that the evaporator coil is too old to work on without risking ruining it. I am beginning to think that he just wants more money from me.
What do you all think?

Old 06-26-18, 07:02 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I'm not an A/C tech, however I didn't think that they were using R410A thirty years ago. If the compressor/condenser unit is 30 year old, I would expect that it uses R22. If the evaporator coil is only 5 years old, then it's probably worthwhile re-using it. However, if it's been running with R22, it will need to be "flushed" well before switching it over to R410A.

Old 06-26-18, 07:17 AM
If you can get the make, model and serial number of the evaporator we can answer the age question. That said, I'm thinking a 2nd opinion would be a wise investment.

Old 06-26-18, 08:22 AM
R
The make is ADP, model number GE32936C142B1605AP, serial number 7115E08823. Just heard from the tech. Says there's no warranty on the evaporator coil. He claims that the folks he talked with at ADP would not offer any real assistance, just that they would send him the TXV valve. He's estimating the cost to do the entire repair at $1200.00. OUCH!!! Gonna have to use a credit card that I have been trying to keep from using. Only way I can afford this.

Old 06-26-18, 08:57 AM
Doing a quick search on the web I didn't find anything of value regarding age but from the model # it sounds like you have a heatpump your coil is definitely set up for 410a, so that's a good thing. As Roughneck77 stated "that's not how you diagnose a TXV". Personally, I'm not getting a warm, fuzzy feeling with your tech. You could be paying for a repair that won't work, get a second opinion and quote for the repairs needed.

Old 06-26-18, 09:19 AM
I went ahead and called ADP technical support, your coil was manufactured in 2015. Sounds like your tech couldn't spend 5 minutes to find out and was pushing a new coil on you. Time to get a new guy!

Edit: From ADP regarding warranty, hope this helps.

Term of Standard Warranty: Advanced Distributor Products (ADP) warrants that products sold shall be of merchantable quality, free of defects in material and workmanship, under normal use and service, for a period of five (5) years from the date of installation, not to exceed six (6) years from the date of manufacture.
Warranty Procedure: Warranty parts should be replaced by a qualified local contractor or dealer and will require the following information: model number, serial number, date of installation and an accurate description of the problem. Contractor or dealer will contact a local ADP distributor for replacement parts.
Replacement Parts: If, during the term of this warranty, a warranted part fails, ADP will either provide a replacement part free of charge, or may at its option, grant a credit for the original purchase price of the defective article to a distributor of ADP products. ADP may require the return of a defective article for factory inspection to verify and/or determine the root cause of the failure.
Care of Equipment: For this warranty to apply, ADP product must be properly installed, operated, and maintained in accordance with the installation, operation and maintenance instructions provided with each unit. Unauthorized alteration of ADP product may void this warranty.
Conditions of Warranty: Replacement parts furnished under this warranty will be warranted for the balance of the original warranty term of the unit and will not serve to extend the original term. This warranty is void if the ADP product is removed from the original installation site. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by shipping, misuse, mishandling or damage caused by floods, winds, fires, lightning, or exposure to corrosive elements/environments (such as salt, chlorine, fluorine or other damaging chemicals).
Limitations of Warranty: The costs of refrigerant, refrigerant reclamation, miscellaneous material and labor charges for diagnostics, servicing or replacing parts are not covered. ADP shall have no liability for expenses incurred for repairs without prior, written authorization from ADP. No purchaser, distributor, dealer, representative, agent, person, firm or corporation has authority to alter, add to or modify this warranty, either orally or in writing.
No Other Warranties: ADP makes no warranty, express or implied, of fitness for any particular purpose, or of any other nature whatsoever, with respect to products manufactured or sold by ADP hereunder, except as specifically set forth above and on the face hereof. Any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose on this product is limited in duration to the duration of this warranty. Some states and provinces do not allow limitations on how an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. It is expressly understood and agreed that ADP shall not be liable to buyer, or any customer of buyer, for direct or indirect, special, incidental, consequential or penal damages, or for any expenses incurred by reason of the use or misuse by buyer or third parties of said products. To the extent said products may be considered “consumer products”, as defined in Sec. 101 of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, ADP makes no warranty of any kind, express or implied, to “consumers,” except as specifically set forth above on the face hereof. The foregoing is in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied, not withstanding the provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, or any other statutory or common law, federal or state.

Last edited by 57TinkerMan; 06-26-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-26-18, 02:16 PM
R
Thanks for the info. The tech isn't asking to install a new coil, but he's giving me the estimate based on the part, labor, capturing the refrigerant, pressurizing the system, testing for leaks, etc. This has already become so expensive, I'm afraid I can't afford another tech to do the diagnosis.

Old 06-26-18, 04:06 PM
I understand your situation, If I'm reading the warranty info correctly it appears that your TXV should be covered. Not knowing exactly what failure occurred with your TXV it still might be possible to pump down the refrigerant into the condenser coil. This would save you some labor time if it's possible.
Hope it all works out for you.

Old 06-26-18, 11:37 PM
R
Thanks for the detective work. The last time we spoke, he was not real thrilled with us asking him to come out and fix it as soon as possible. But in our defense, it's pretty darn hot and humid, and we are trying to remain comfortable using a 1 room A/C unit and a fan. The installation instructions that I found for the evaporator coil has written on it "new a/c 2016". So, I don't know where he gets that it's so old. Even the date on the instruction manual is December of 2013. I am just very frustrated. I checked Home Advisor for a reputable a/c tech, and his was the only name in my area. In fact, he called me. Must get a notification when someone checks for a tech.

Old 06-27-18, 07:48 AM
It shouldn't be this hard, right? All of us who have replied to your posts just don't want you to be taken advantage of. Your TXV may very well be defective, but based on your comments I am not sure how your tech arrived at his diagnosis. I still recommend that you get another opinion, this would at least confirm your techs diagnosis and gives you an opportunity to compare quotes. I'm not sure how well "Home Advisor" screens the people who seek work from it.

Good Luck

Old 06-27-18, 08:41 AM
R
Many thanks to everyone who has replied. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. Still waiting to hear from the tech about receiving the part.

Old 06-28-18, 01:03 PM
R
Well, it's working now. Bad TXV valve. Not under warranty (at least he said so) because it wasn't a fixed part. It was not soldered in, but had fittings. Anyhow, it's working perfectly now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: