Itís hot here! A/C Unit Keeps Shutting Down

Old 07-02-18, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Itís hot here! A/C Unit Keeps Shutting Down

A couple of days ago when temps got over 40c here (Toronto) our Lennox Elite Series central air unit shut off. Iíd press the red reset button inside the unit and it would start up again but shut down again after 10-15 mins. I had to keep doing this over and over again. Last night we just left it turned off.

This morning I reset it again and it ran for about 3 hours and it cooled down the house a fair bit. Then around 11am it starting shutting down again and I have to press the little red button every 10 minutes or so. So I gave up and itís getting fairly hot in the house.

What could be causing this? Iím guessing something minor because everything still works (when itís running).

Thanks for for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-18, 04:55 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
I believe what you're resetting is the high pressure switch. It shuts down the compressor if it detects that the system pressure is too high to prevent damage to the system.

Have you cleaned the condenser coil on the outside unit? If the condenser coil gets dirty, it can't dissipate the heat as efficiently and will raise the system pressure. Take a garden hose and direct water at approximately a 45 degree angle to the surface of the condenser coil. Ideally, it should be done spraying the water from the inside to the outside, however it's much easier to do it from the outside and it should do a reasonable job of cleaning the coil.

Old 07-02-18, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your reply Bob. So should I just spray water through the slats in the cover? Or also down threw the top into the sides of the unit?

Old 07-02-18, 05:19 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Spray the water horizontally through the coil, just angle the water so that it's not spraying too hard. The fins on the condenser coil are pretty delicate and are easily bent. If you want to try spraying the water from the inside (does a slightly better job), remove the fan assembly from the top of the unit so you can get the hose inside and spray out. If you do this, be sure to turn off the power to the unit before taking the fan off.

Old 07-02-18, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Check to make sure that your condensate drain line is clear and not plugged. Many newer units have sensors that will shut things down if the water level in the condensate line is too full indicating a clog. You can see if the unit is draining by going outside and see if water is dripping from the line at the discharge point. If clogged, use compressed air to clear, pour a cup of bleach down the drain line and monitor. Let us know what you find.

Old 07-03-18, 05:09 AM
It's cool here! Thanks Bob. Brilliant!!