Ac condenser fan not working

Old 07-04-18, 01:24 PM
Ac condenser fan not working

I noticed that the ac wasn’t blowing cold air so I took a look at the condenser and the fan wasn’t spinning. I figured it was a bad capacitor so I replaced it and the fan started spinning immediately and the air was nice and cold. When I woke up this morning I noticed that the air wasn’t cool again and the fan wasn’t spinning again. Any idea what the problem could be? Fan motor? Another bad capacitor?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 01:53 PM
While possible, it's unlikely that the capacitor is bad after 1 day. If you try to give the fan a "push" when it's supposed to be on, does it run? Try to feel the motor, is it hot? If the motor is hot, that's a good indication that the motor is bad.

Old 07-04-18, 01:54 PM
Is the compressor running?

Old 07-05-18, 08:41 AM
Yes, the motor was warm and I gave it some help when it was supposed to be spinning. The blades struggled alittle to spin at this point so I oiled the fan motor turned the breaker back on and the fan spun at normal intervals throughout the night. The fan spun pretty freely prior to all of this but I guess not enough for for the motor. I feel like a dork now that it's working after some oil but figured I'd add this to the remarks in case anyone else is having the same issue,

Old 07-05-18, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Oil is only a temporary repair as the bearings are basically sealed units.

Old 07-05-18, 09:52 AM
As Pete mentioned, your fan motor is on its way out. The oil is only a temporary fix. I would suggest that you start looking around for a replacement fan motor.