A/C occasionally blows warm air

Old 07-05-18, 03:53 PM
A/C occasionally blows warm air

OK, more detail is needed than I can put in the title, so here's what I know and have done so far.

I live in NE Ohio, which doesn't get too hot but has bouts of terrible humidity. I mention this because my A/C can run for a week, then go for weeks off before I turn it on again.

Starting early this summer the first time I tried to turn it on it was blowing warm air. The condenser fan was running. I tried several times during the hot day, but same result every time. When I woke in the early morning and it was still cool I tried again, and presto! Cold air. During that entire "run" it started every time (from thermostat cycling) no issues.

My first thought was that the starter cap was dying (the system is 14 years old), so I replaced it with an identical unit (brand new) and it continued to run fine.

Then I went on vacation and the A/C was off for three weeks. I come back and same as before: condenser fan is running, blower is running, but air is warm. I had already replaced the capacitor, so I checked the relay and that's pulling in fine too. Cycled the breaker a few times - no better. The day was hot and sticky, but as an experiment I hosed the condenser unit off with cold water, remembering that the early AM helped last time. Went back in and turned it on at the thermostat and cold air!

That was yesterday and it's still starting fine now from normal thermostat cycling, but rather than waiting till it does not start at all I want to get to the bottom of this. So when cycling on and off normally, starts fine. Leave it sit for a few weeks and it only starts if it's cool.

My initial guess Is maybe the condenser bearings? Looking for any other thoughts or suggestions for something to check or try or look at.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-18, 05:35 AM
Hi, have you cleaned the condenser coils? I like to shut the power off to the unit ,remove the cover and try to spray coil cleaner back through the coils then flush with water, just because the condenser fan is running doesn’t mean the compressor is running, is the inside filter clean?
Geo

Old 07-06-18, 06:10 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I agree that just because the condenser fan is running does not mean the compressor is running, which is why my suspicion is that the compressor is not always starting. I am just hoping there are alternate possibilities.

The inside filter is cleaned monthly (I have a reusable one). The condenser coils are pretty darn clean, though it probably couldn't hurt to do it again. Still, I'm not sure this explains my particular dilemma, since it's a "go / no-go" situation, and when it does go it continues working fine until the next time it sits unused for a few weeks.

Old 07-06-18, 07:31 AM
The compressor contactor is pulled in but the compressor is not running, only the condenser fan,am I correct?
Geo