please help me understand old ac heater set up in old house

Old 07-13-18, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
please help me understand old ac heater set up in old house

So a few years ago we got into an old part fixer upper former B&B,
I have a fairly good grasp on electrical, plumbing, and how ac and heating works but still have questions with what they had going on here,
The place was made around 1910 and many upgrades just worked around previous upgrades or orginal equipment,
Some rooms for example have several vents, floor ceiling etc,

There were 2 ac systems, both have the condensors out back,
One system for upstairs has the evaporator part in the attic, its pulls air in from the upstairs hall cieling vent and is ducted to the various upstairs rooms,
The what i guess is another evaporator is in the basement it gets its air from various ducts downstairs, then has a second duct to rooms for cooling, seems hackjob to me,
This basement part also has "heat exchanger" ? written on a thing next to it that appears to have once had a gas line,
We are not on gas.

Both upstairs and down had heater ducts which most appear as old as the house ducted into the unit in the basement,
We bought the place a couple years ago, and none of that ac heat stuff works, the outside condensors were froze up from sitting and just hummed,

My guess is none of it has been working for at least 20 years because thats how long ago the lady we bought it from sat on the place thinking she would fix it to flip up but that never happened, we bought "as is" to get a sweet deal,

I left all of this old system disconnected when i replaced the basement service panel.
To me the set up seems horribly inefficient and a real mess in design, im guessing obsolete?
Was this a common way to do this decades back?

We now just get by with window ac or portables in the rooms we spend time in,
But im curious, was that old set up some odd attempt at central ac and heat,
Is there any modern way to perhaps add central type ac to the most used rooms, and hope for any efficeny at all?

Thanks for opinions and info

Cheers
b

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-18, 06:24 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Central a/c requires ducting for air distribution. Central heat could be via ducting or water fed radiators. I would get a HVAC engineer to size an a/c unit based on the size of the existing ducting and registers and another based on the volume to be cooled. Hopefully they are nearly the same. Depending on where you are located, a heat pump may be an option for both heat and cooling. Otherwise get the HVAC engineer to size a hot air furnace (based on the existing ducting layout) or a hot water furnace (requires installation of radiators, pump and zone controls).

Old 07-16-18, 07:28 AM
Im in eustis florida,
Very hot, 10:30 am 85 will hit mid 90s,

So ac far more important than heat,
Im just tjinking it will never be practical to cool this place,
It might just be best to use window and portable units

Right now i just posted on here to bs about it, im not really wanting to hire guys who will charge a lot to tell me how big a fee it would cost to do this or that

Old 07-17-18, 03:56 AM
HVAC is not a BS subject if you want it done right. If you want to SWAG it , be my guest.

Old 07-17-18, 07:19 AM
Lighten up Francis ,

I never said hvac was a bs subject i said i wanted to bs about it as a figure of speech meaning chat about it on a diy forum, nothing to get all serious upset about,

Sorry for any discontent,
Have a good one....

Old 07-18-18, 04:38 AM
Keep adding those window units. Your power company loves you and they also lighten up you wallet. Stay cool.