Bearing replacement in GE AEM08LSL1

Old 07-18-18, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bearing replacement in GE AEM08LSL1

Hi all,

Some relatives were going to throw out a window AC unit because it was making noise when it was on. I figured I would try to replace the bearings since it would have been thrown out anyway. I disassembled the fan motor as per this video: https://youtu.be/5woK_7p0lcM?t=280 and found that the bearings were not rotating smoothly. They are C&U 608Z bearings. I ordered two new 608Z bearings from amazon but received two 608ZZ bearings. These are supposed to be the same size but they were slightly loose on the shaft and did not stay into place against the two horseshoe clips. While removing the old bearings, I also noticed that the "armature" or "squirrel cage" moved on the shaft so I tried to center it between the two horseshoe clips. When I tried to put the shaft back into the two halves of the motors, I was not able to press the two sides together. I tried using a C-clamp to squeeze the two halves together but when I squeezed it to almost completely tight, the shaft was locked and not able to rotate. I also observed that the bearings stuck into the inner holes in the casing instead and came off of the shaft.

What could be preventing the shaft from rotating? Could the armature on the shaft be contacting the stator? Could the bearings not be pressed deep enough into their slots in the housing? Is it a lost cause?

Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-18, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

608 is the basic bearing part number. That means all 608xxxxxx bearings should be the same. Notice I said should. The 608Z is a single metal shield and the 608ZZ is the dual metal shield.
The 608S is a single rubber shield and the 608SS is the dual rubber shield.

Many of these companies sell inexpensive bearings bulk manufactured in Asia. The aren't always the correct size. You said the shaft fits loose in the bearings. That's not good and the motor will not work like that. Those bearings need to be snug on the shaft. They usually need to be pressed into place.

It would appear that you need bearings from a different vendor.

Old 07-19-18, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply! I will contact Amazon and try to get new bearings. I also have some unlabeled skateboard bearings that appear to be the right size and fit snugly on the shaft, but I thought getting ones with the correct part number would be better.

Could that be the reason why the shaft does not rotate when the housing is pressed together? Or is that probably from another issue, like the armature not being in the right place on the shaft and contacting the stator?

Old 07-19-18, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
There should be two clips on the shaft where the bearings rest after being tapped on the shaft.
If the bearings are resting against those clips... the motor should spin.