Condenser fan help

Old 07-19-18, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser fan help

Hello, I hope yall can help. Im having an issue with my compressor fan and I dont want to get taken advantage of because I have an older unit. The Unit works but the issue is the fan will only run for about 15-20 min then shut off, however the compressor keeps running. I first noticed this issue on my old fan motor which locked up, after oiling the shaft I re-installed it while waiting for my new motor to arrive. It ran fine, spun freely and all was good for about 15-20 min then it would stop and the compressor would keep running, of course the unit would get really hot. So I ended up shutting it down for two days to avoid damage. Installed the new fan (with matching specs to the old one), with new dual cap. Same issue... Works for 15-20 min then shuts down, if left alone it will re start after about 20 min.

Any help would be appreciated, anything I can find online thats similar to my issue says the motor is bad, but mine is brand new.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-18, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A replacement motor will specify what value capacitor it needs.
It may not be the same value as the original motor used.
Is the motor running real hot ?
I would check the current draw of the motor to see if it's within nameplates specs.

Old 07-19-18, 06:51 PM
No the motor is running luke warm (I can put my hand on it and leave it there indefinitely). The new motor is the same specs as old motor, and new Cap is same spec as old Cap.. Did try with old Cap and had the same issue.

Is there a way to hot wire the fan motor so it runs all of the time?

Old 07-19-18, 06:58 PM
After reading some more I think its important to point out this is a heat pump unit.

Old 07-21-18, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
If you have a heat pump the fan motor power runs through the defrost timer.

It is most likely this timer that is causing your problem.

It is easy to bypass the timer if you only need cool mode operation at this time.

The fan motor black wire will leave the contactor and enter the defrost control. It leaves the defrost control and hits the fan motor.

If you have a Carrier, a Trane or a Lennox it is usually possible to find the wiring diagram online if you post the Make and model number.