Help determine if I have an A/C problem

Old 07-25-18, 08:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help determine if I have an A/C problem

My home AC unit it cooling great I just wanted to check the system ad do a little PM on it. I replaced the contactor on the outside unit because they are checp and mine had some burn marks on the pads. I also checked the DUAL capacitor (80/5uF) and it was out of spec measuring 54/3.5 uF so I figured it was time for a replacement. I don't know if this is coincidence but my system expels a considerable amount of water from the inside unit to the outside drain pipe. the pan is always full. BUT.....Ever since I replaced the contactor and capacitor the unit has a completely dry pan and no water what so ever is dripping out of the drain pipe to the outside of the house.

have I broken something? why would i go from a full pan always and pouring water from the drain line to absolutely DRY with nothing dripping from the extermal line? I AM NOT an HVAC guy so any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-18, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you confirmed that the fan and the compressor are running in the outside condenser ?
It's pretty easy to see if the fan is running. To check the compressor..... feel the larger insulated copper pipe at the back of the unit. If it's not ice cold...... the compressor is not running.

If they aren't both running..... you probably miswired either the contactor or the capacitor.
Posting pictures of the wiring can help us in determining a problem..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 07-25-18, 09:23 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes i have verified that the line is cold and the fan is spinning. i have the thermostat set on 68 and its holding 68 in my home in this mississippi delta heat.

i will post a few pics tomorrow

Old 07-25-18, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If it's holding 68 and the line is cold..... then it's working ok.

The amount of water that drains from the inside unit is dependent on the amount of humidity in the air. If the humidity is high..... there should be lots of water.

If you aren't getting any water then maybe the line is plugged which means you may get a flood inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: