New Furnace Control Board and Blower Connections/Settings

Old 07-26-18, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Furnace Control Board and Blower Connections/Settings

Hi Folks,

I have a ~20 year old Rheem RGP J-IONBRJR furnace that needs a new control board. The broken control board is model 1012-925A, and the replacement board I purchased is a Protech 62-24268-03. I have two questions:

1) On my current (broken) control board, the blower connections are as follows: red (low speed) wire connected to "Heat" on the board; blue (medium-high speed) connected to "Cool"; and black (high speed) connected to "M1". The wiring diagram on the furnace door shows that blue should be connected to Heat, black should be connected to Cool, and red should be to M1. I'm not sure if the current hookups were made when the unit was originally installed, or if a company that recently performed the diagnostic work for me switched the wires around for their testing/diagnosis work. Should I wire the new board according to the wiring diagram, or according to the existing wiring?

2) The original control board has a small box with two small white switches labeled "1" and "2" (photo attached for reference). The new control board doesn't have this red box, but instead has terminals for blower delay. Does the red box on the old board control blower delay, and do you know what blower delay I should use on the new board?

Here's a link to the new board for reference:
https://www.amazon.com/Protech-62-24...ords=1012-925a

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-18, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 311 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your old board had DIP switches while the new board has jumpers. They do the same exact thing. A jumper on the pins is like the switch being closed.

Your dip switches are set as #1 off and #2 on which equals 90 second delay.
You will move the jumper to the 90 second location on the new board.

M1 is also know as parked. It's just a place to put a spare wire. The blower speeds are set up when a system is installed. Usually the high speed is assigned for A/C operation. Med or low for the furnace.

Old 07-27-18, 10:31 PM
Thanks Pete, I really appreciate your help. I'll set the jumper to the 90 second location, and will connect the blower wires as they are now.

I have one last thing I was hoping you could help me out with please. It looks like the company that diagnosed the board moved the 24V wires around (Photo 1), and so I want to make sure that I connect them back correctly. For the thermostat wires, I see that I just match the wire colors to the letter designation on the control board. However, there are two extra wires: one seems to come from the outdoor condenser (the white wire currently connected to the "Y" terminal); and the second wire (also white) comes from the back of the furnace (which I can't access) together with a red wire, with this white wire connected to the "C" terminal (Photo 2). Based on the wiring diagram (Photo 3), I think that the condenser wire is in the correct location, but I have no idea about the other wire. Can you please confirm? I've also added a 4th photo so that you can see how everything looks from a distance.

Thanks again!

Attached Images     
Old 07-28-18, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 311 Posts
There are two wires out to the condenser. One connects to Y with the wire from the stat and the other connects to C. It sounds like one of the two condenser wires is interrupted by another two wire cable coming from a hidden or remote area. More than likely..... that mystery two wire cable goes to a condensate float switch. It's designed to shut off the condenser if it detects a high water level in the A/C area.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-28-18 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-18, 12:14 PM
That makes sense, thanks Pete, I really appreciate all of your help.