RRKA-A060CK10X issues & questions

Old 08-01-18, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RRKA-A060CK10X issues & questions

I just replaced the start capacitor on this RRKA-A060CK10X unit about a week ago, and it has been working since then. However, today the blower fan, while it runs, started clunking. It doesn't sound quite like other bearing issues in motors I've heard before (maybe a mount?). Unfortunately I didn't have much time to look into it more that confirming it was the blower fan, also the fan moves smoothly when pushed by hand. I plan to look more tomorrow. I had a couple questions, if anyone could help.
  1. Is it possible that something during the replacement of the capacitor could cause an issue like this? I wouldn't think so, but since it occurred so soon after the replacement... or maybe the motor is what caused the issue with the capacitor?
  2. It looks like the blower motor is part no. 51-21853-21. It is a 1/3 HP 208-230 Volts 1075 RPM. It is factory wired to high->cool/low->heat. Yet is struggles to keep my 2300sq ft house at 75 (to be fair, I'm in AZ) Is it possible and/or beneficial to upgrade the motor to a 1/2 hp?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-18, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 413 Votes on 387 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That motor you linked to.... the 1/3hp one.... is for the fan in the condenser side near the compressor.
It is not three speed.... it's single speed.

Which motor are you talking about...... the one that is over the compressor or the three speed one that blows the air into the house ?

I'm having a problem finding the exact service manual for your Rheem packaged unit but when I run the model thru the parts listing.... I get 51-23650-01. That is a 3/4hp 3 speed motor which is required for the blower on your 5 ton unit.

google/search=51-23650-01/motor

Old 08-01-18, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Pete! The spec sheet I found is R11-834 REV. 3 at https://manualzz.com/doc/38251011/r1...-5-ton-3-phase. Thank you for pointing out the discrepancy - I was looking at the wrong fan motor. It is the fan that blows air into the house. I suppose the question would then be about replacing it with a 1hp motor.

Old 08-01-18, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 413 Votes on 387 Posts
Not necessary..... a 3/4hp motor should be plenty for that application.

Old 08-02-18, 02:32 PM
Ok, thanks! I opened the unit up this morning and swapped the High->cool to Medium->cool on the board - didn't change anything. I also made a video of the sound here: https://youtu.be/4-bXA2lChIQ

Any ideas?

Thanks!