Outside unit won't turn off

Old 08-08-18, 08:03 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside unit won't turn off

Our outside unit will not turn off - the inside unit turns on and off when the desire temp is reached but the outside unit keeps running. There is ice on the condenser so we turn off the unit with the breaker switch for awhile to let it defrost.

BACK STORY - our AC went out at first so i changed the contactor and the capacitor. but it wouldn't kick on. we kept trying to push in the contactor button over and over and it wouldn't stick. it smoked, it sparked but finally it stuck in and the outside unit started running.

AFTER we got it running - I noticed water in the AC overflow pan and there was an aqua guard in the pan that got wet. So i figured it was not the contactor or capacitor but it was because of the backup of water. I cleared the clogged and it has been dry since.

BUT the outside unit never turns off. it gets cold in the house. the inside air handler and blower turns on and off as they are supposed to.

we have 1 outside unit. 1 airhandler blower and 2 thermostats.

any thoughts do you think i messed up the contactor so now it is stuck in the on position? how can i test it? i think it freezes outside because the out side keeps running even when the inside unit cuts off.

thanks for any help or advice.

Old 08-08-18, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That is not a manual start button on the contactor. It's designed that way for visual inspection and a ONE TIME test. Yes.... you've damaged the contactor and it will need to be replaced.

Then you will need a meter to check for voltages to see why it's not closing. A few possible problems.... low on refrigerant, broken wire from house to condenser, high level condensate at air handler or defective thermostat. The contactor needs 24vAC on the coil to close.

Old 08-09-18, 01:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the house does cool down - it actually gets too cold.
How can i test the thermostats to see if they are defective? also should i replace the contactor now? or can i test the thermostats first?

Old 08-09-18, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Of course it gets cold...... the compressor is stuck on.
If you have a low refrigerant issue,..... you will damage the compressor.

In order to check for proper operation of the thermostat...... you'd need a voltmeter to check for 24vAC either at the yellow and Common wire at the air handler or where the two wires enter the outside condenser unit at the wire nuts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: