Window AC question

Old 08-08-18, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window AC question

Will cold air flow freely from room to room if I have a big enough window AC? I have (3) rooms that are 13' x 13' each, so that would equal 507 sq ft. The window AC is 24000 BTU and says it will chill a room up to 1500 sq ft large. I understand the math is in my favor, i just don't know if the air will go all the way into the other rooms. Any help on this will be truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-18, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
A lot depends on how the three rooms are laid out. Where there doors and AC is located will also have an impact.

I have one rental house without central AC. There is a large AC in the living room. Off the living room is a small 4x6 hallway with the kitchen, bath and bedroom opening into the hallway. While it's not perfect all the rooms do receive a decent amount of cooling when all the doors remain open. There is a temperature difference between the rooms but it's better than nothing. Fans blowing through the doorways helps even more.

Old 08-08-18, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Nope..... the cold air falls rapidly and doesn't travel well between rooms. It will eventually get to all the rooms but stay low to the ground and gradually fill the room. A small fan between rooms pointed up can dramatically assist the spread of cold air.