Is a 15A typical breaker for attic air handler?

Old 09-24-18, 05:53 AM
Is a 15A typical breaker for attic air handler?

I'm going to rerun the 14/2 wire going to the air handler in the attic from the exterior of my house (in conduit) to the interior of my house. But my AC system is probably going to die soon and I'm still undecided whether I'm upgrading the the entire system to r410a or just replacing the condenser outside.

If I do end up upgrading to r410a and replace the air handler in the attic, I don't want to rerun this wire again...Is 15a+14/2 wire sufficient for most air handlers, or should I run 12/2 wire (but keep it on a 15a breaker for now) just in case a new handler needs a 20a breaker?

Thanks

edit: This is only used for cooling..I have hot water radiators for heat.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-18, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
I suggest running the #12 wire to cover your bases. The extra cost will be nominal.

Note: You can not use NM cable in a wet location. Conduit run outside is considered a wet location. If you run it outside, even in conduit, you will need to run UF cable.

Old 09-24-18, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Most straight A/C air handlers are 240v which would mean that a 15A circuit is fine.

Old 09-24-18, 06:47 PM
Lol I had left Home Depot with #14 wire 10 minutes before @Tolyn replied. Then, I went back later to return it and bought #12 wire 10 minutes before @PJmax's reply! ...

Still, thank you both for the help!

And @Tolyn, thank you for the reminder about UF wire...that's probably why the original installer's #14 was so brittle, that and the rusted through EMT conduit...which is why I'm re-running it inside the house. But I'm also replacing the 10/2 wire going to the condenser and that will still be run through conduit so I grabbed UF.

Old 09-24-18, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
It is never a problem to run a larger sized wire. The #12 will work just as well as the #14.
The proper size breaker to use will be posted on the air handler.