Central Air Unit Makes Occational Loud Buzz

Old 10-04-18, 09:29 AM
Central Air Unit Makes Occational Loud Buzz

Hi! I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if I'm missing information-- just let me know.

I live in a townhouse and have a central air unit at the back of the house. It's mounted on brackets roughly at the height of the foundation. I think it's a Rheem (or their parent/subsidiary company). It's been hot this summer so we've run it a lot. In about mid-July, I thought the neighbors must have been drilling or sawing into the wall (the foundation or something because it was a rumbling buzz sounds) but as I listened more carefully, I determined it was the air conditioner. I turned it off and called a repair technician. He asked me if he could hear the sound over the phone but when I turned it on again it was totally normal and was normal again for weeks. It's made this sound maybe a two or three more times since then including today. The trouble is, I can't diagnose it because it goes away when I shut off the unit.

I'm optimistically hoping it's just something with the chassis and not with the internals because a loose fan or tanking compressor would be more consistent, no?

Anyone have any ideas of what I should do to sort this out? Thanks very much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-18, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Based on that information there isn't much we can do either. Is it bolted to the attaching frame ?
The fan hitting something makes a very distinctive sound.
Is this a heat pump system ?

Old 10-04-18, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the reply! It's not a heat pump system as far as I know-- just an air conditioning unit (not the other way). It is bolted to the attaching frame quite solidly. There's nothing inside that would make contact with the fan when I inspected it. Maybe it's catching some debris every once in a while and making this noise? It's definitely loud enough inside the house that you couldn't miss it which makes it seem like a serious issue.

Thanks again. Any further brainstorming about this would be much appreciated.