A/C supplied with both 120v and 240v

Old 10-04-18, 07:30 PM
A/C supplied with both 120v and 240v

Our makerspace has 3 identical HVAC units. Each condenser runs off of a 30 Amp 240v breaker. However, when I check the power being supplied at the evaporation, I read confusing voltage. I checked the black to ground (green to a case ground block) and red to ground. On two of the units, I get 240v on the red wire and 110v on the black wire. On one unit, I get 120v on black to ground and 120v on red to ground.

Shouldn't I get 240v between either red to ground or black to ground?

Incidentally, two units function fine. On one A/C condenser the fan runs, but the compressor does not. This is one of the units that has 240v on red to ground and 120v on black to ground.

Thoughts?

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-18, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

On a 240v circuit...... you should measure 240v across the two hot wires and 120v from each hot wire to ground. How do you have red, black and ground...... where's the white ?

It's virtually impossible to measure from any single wire to ground and see 240v in a home.

On edit:
Is this a commercial application ?
Possible three phase electric in that location ?
You could be getting a red or wild leg to ground. Not usually 240v.... usually slightly higher.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-04-18 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 06:01 AM
Is this a new installation? Also I think that you need to answer @PJMax's questions. Much more information is necessary as to the age of the units, size of the units, commercial installation, Single or 3 phase electrical service. Also is the power to these units all from the same breaker panel or from different panels. It may be wise to have a registered electrician check the primary feed wiring of these units.