New trane units and capacitors

Old 10-18-18, 08:55 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New trane units and capacitors

Hello All,

just moved into my to my newly built home this week and today took a look at the 2 brand new trans units on the house. I was assembling a parts list of things to keep in stock should I need them in the future. When I got to the capacitors i wrote down the info for the run capacitors but when I tried to locate the start capacitors I was unable to find where they are located. The schematics show the color wires and the contractor switch used with the start capacitors but still couldn’t find them. The bigger unit which is 4 tons is model 4twr6048h1000a. The 2 ton unit is the same except 24h1000a. Any idea where the start capacitors could be hidden at in these units. I believe they are the xr16 models but the model search turns up real no concrete answers as to what XR model these are. Any help?

Old 10-19-18, 07:23 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Most newer systems use dual capacitors meaning the compressor and condenser fan capacitors are both in one "can". Your Trane system uses dual capacitors. Just make a note of the capacitance and voltage rating. The larger capacitance side is for the compressor, while the smaller value side is for the fan.

I assume from your handle that you own a Charger Hellcat. I have a '15 Rallye, but I envy you with the Hellcat.

Old 10-19-18, 08:43 AM
H
I’m not sure if it’s a dual because it only has the two terminal posts and has a rating of 45uf with no uf rating for fan. Yes I do have the hellcat. Quite fun and I do enjoy having the 4 door vs the 2 door hahaha

Old 10-19-18, 09:58 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Some installation info I was able to find by doing a Google search of your 4 ton model number showed a dual capacitor on the schematic. A dual cap will have 3 terminals: F (Fan), C (Common), and H (Compressor). I'm surprised that the cap you found was only a single. Since it was 45mfd, it would be the compressor cap.

Old 10-19-18, 12:03 PM
H
I am really shocked that I cannot find the fan one at all. I did notice something rather interesting today while still try to locate the start capacitor that when the unit kicked on the fan almost looked like it was stuck for about 3 or 4 seconds then begun to spin. Could have they forgot a capacitor during the install and it’s not getting enough juice to turn over and eventually after the compression in rush the fan does start?

Old 10-19-18, 12:12 PM
H
I am really shocked that I cannot find the fan one at all. I did notice something rather interesting today while still try to locate the start capacitor that when the unit kicked on the fan almost looked like it was stuck for about 3 or 4 seconds then begun to spin. Could have they forgot a capacitor during the install and it’s not getting enough juice to turn over and eventually after the compression in rush the fan does start?

Old 10-19-18, 02:51 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, just a wild guess, but the fan cap isn’t strapped to the motor is it ?
Geo

Old 10-19-18, 08:28 PM
H
Great idea about looking on the motor but before I posted this discussion I had checked that because it came to mind but nothing there. Really aggravating

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: