Suggestions for Full HVAC install in house with no existing system or ducts

Old 11-23-18, 03:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Full HVAC install in house with no existing system or ducts

Hi,

I am looking for some suggestions for our house along the line of a fully functional AC/Heat system.

Our house is a split level and both attic areas have full access. The upstairs attic has drop downstairs and our other side of the house can be accessed via our son's closet via an opening a person can easily get thru. If that makes sense.

Right now we have that Ceil Heat which is heated ceilings which we do NOT like. The ceilings crack no matter how much we repair them. So I want to do away with it.

There is no duct work in the house and have looked at two options, Space Pack system or another option mini Split systems.

We also have a wood insert fireplace but keeping wood around all year is becoming quite a pain for us. We would like to just keep a small amount just in case of power outage but be able to have full flip of the switch for AC and Heat. We only use the Ceil Heat upstairs to take the edge off but try to run the wood stove as much as we can all winter long to keep costs down but it's dusty, a pain to babysit and move wood.

I am currently cooling the entire house with two window AC units. Two 10,000 BTU AC units, one in our main bedroom upstairs and one in our dining room downstairs. The house is very well insulated for that matter so I think we do pretty good just using two window AC units.

My ultimate question is what would someone with experience suggest us looking at. I felt the split systems might be more beneficial and I would opt for cooling and heating type. I would feel the space pack might be more costly but not sure today? I looked at that system years ago.

Thanks for your input.
Spankey.

Old 11-24-18, 04:56 AM
B
Received 113 Votes on 99 Posts
This is not a DIY project. Besides designing and installing a HVAC distribution system, you need to design and install sources for heat and cooling. You need a design that will work. Best to hire a licensed HVAC engineer (give him your requirements) and have him create a spec you can use to get quotes. Good luck.

Old 11-24-18, 05:19 AM
Received 530 Votes on 490 Posts
Two that come to mind are the mini splits that you mention, and is probably the least invasive and require no ducting,

Another option is the high velocity mini duct, that uses a high pressure hose to feed the rooms so ducting, per say, is not needed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: