Second Story A/C 2 Drain Lines But Primary not working

Old 12-16-18, 12:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Second Story A/C 2 Drain Lines But Primary not working

Hey guys, hope you can offer some assistance. I have a new A/C upstairs about 1.5 years old, I've noticed for a while that when the A/C is on, water would drip from the drain pipe outside above a window over the 1st floor. I was recently told, that this shouldn't be happening, as it is the secondary/emergency drain pipe.

When I went outside and located the drain pipes coming up from the ground, the one for the downstairs A/C works, but the other one nothing is coming through.

I have included a picture of the upstairs A/C so you can get an understanding of the setup. Water is passing through the pipe that has the safety switch on it, while there is no water running through the pipe where I took off the black rubber piece.

Is it possible that the installers actually screwed up and connected the "primary" drain pipe as the emergency pipe? At no time, am I having any issues with the A/C working or any water whatsoever in the drain pan below the handler.

Last edited by jagnation22; 12-16-18 at 12:41 PM. Reason: picture
Old 12-16-18, 03:09 PM
J
Well I can't figure out why my picture won't post, but in the meantime, I poured some water down the pipe with the safety switch on it, which the water poured out of the drain outside the house above my window. So clearly it is not running as a the "secondary" but as the primary.

The other pipe, no water runs down it from the air handler when the air handler is on, which means it must be the secondary. However, this pipe if water did run through it, the water would go to the pipe coming from the ground outside. That pipe from the air handler though is angled oddly, almost in a downwards manner, so without some type of funnel with a plastic straw going down it, I can't get water going down the pipe to test it.

My thoughts are either the pipe that runs from the air handler and comes out of the ground outside is either blocked, or has some other issue that can't be fixed inside the walls, and the A/C guys have just made the "secondary" drain outlet above the 1st floor window as the primary line for the condensate to drain.

I wonder how much it would cost to have an A/C company come and blow out that line coming from the ground, and hook it up as the primary line at the air handler.

Old 12-16-18, 03:18 PM
J

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: