Ecobee4 on EWC-st-2d zoning system

Old 01-02-19, 06:36 AM
Ecobee4 on EWC-st-2d zoning system

Hi Houston204,

I also have ewc-st-2d which requires separate B and O wire. I have two zones. Primary zone needs to be on for second one to work. Primary thermostat has heat/cool/off and auto/on fan switches and temp knob. Secondary only has temperature knob. I want to replace both old thermostat with ecobee 4. Will the relay mentioned earlier work with my setup? Will I need a relay for each zone? I appreciate any help provided.

Mod note: taken from this thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...-troubles.html

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-19, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
Welcome to the forums.

You will need a relay only at zone 1 as this zone controls the system..... heating and cooling.

Old 01-02-19, 11:06 PM
Thanks PJmax. I am new homeowner and new to doing such projects. Would you mind telling me how to set up the relay and any additional configuration/setup I might have to do on ecobee4. I assume my second zone will work without requiring any special wiring. I intend to add ecobee4 for both zone. Once again Thanks.

Old 01-03-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Post a picture of the EWC board like shown in the linked thread.
Check how many wires you have to stat 1 and to stat 2.

Old 01-03-19, 06:44 PM
EWC-ST-2D board

HI PJMax,

Here is the image of my ewc board. It seems zone 1 has 6 (W,Y, R1, O, B, G) and zone 2 has has 3 (W, Y, R).

Name:  ewc-st-2d.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  142.4 KB

Old 01-03-19, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
W,Y, R1, O, B, G ......... will become W, Y. R, O, G, and C after the relay installation.
W, Y, R ...... and we need W, Y, R, C. ...... four wires required.
Wifi stats need C power and I don't think Ecobees PEK will work with this zone controller.
Look at the zone 2 stat cable..... are there spares wrapped at the bottom ?

I'll look up the wiring diagram you'll need for the relay.

Old 01-03-19, 07:45 PM
My Zone 2 cable has 4 wires (green, orange, black and blue) wrapped around it. Would I be able to use any one of them for C wire. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-03-19, 11:43 PM
Group Moderator
Sure..... those are spares just waiting to be used.

Old 01-04-19, 09:01 AM
In my current setup, zone 1 has heat/cool/off switch and fan auto/on switch. Zone 2 only works when zone 1 is set to heat/cool. Zone 2 can not turn on the fan. In the new setup with 2 ecobee's will it work the same way? What role will relay play in this. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-04-19, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
It should work the same way. Instead of a mechanical slide switch where you select HEAT-OFF-COOL you will just select cooling and the relay will close via the O/B terminal operating in O mode. When you select heat the relay will be off which will be heat mode (B).

Old 01-06-19, 07:19 PM
Second zone will continue to work the same way as before? I will need to turn on heat/cool in zone 1 before zone 2 engages. When you have a chance, can you please provide the wiring diagram. Can you recommend a relay I should get. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-16-19, 06:45 AM
Hi Pete. Will you be able to provide the wiring diagram for both zones that will work with ecobee. I checked on ecobee4 site and it seems to think ecobee is compatible with slave zone. It seems to need a G wire but my slave zone only has C, W, Y and R. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-03-19, 07:58 PM
Hi Pete,

I have installed according the diagram from Houston204:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psekerixuv.jpg

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/t...b-o-wires.html

Heat is working on both zones. However, when I set zone 1 ecobee to "energize on cool" for O/B reversing valve and switch to cool for zone 1, zone 2 ecobee turns off. When i set zone 1 ecobee to "energize on heat" for O/B reversing valve and switch to cool for zone 1, both zones still gives off heat. Can you please help resolve this issue. I would like to get both heat and AC working.

Thanks,
Shakir

Old 06-06-19, 10:36 AM
Hi Pete,

When I turn to cool, both zone is still giving heat. Do I need to change wiring for cooling or did I miss something. Sometimes when I switch the primary to cool, the second zone ecobee turns off but the vents still gives of heat. Can you please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Shakir

Old 06-06-19, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry I missed this thread. I didn't have it tagged as mine so I wasn't checking it.
Let me see where the issue is.

Old 06-10-19, 09:57 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
You are better off replacing that control board with a newer one that allows for independent zone control. I had a similar board, except mine was EWC-ST-2E. I replaced it with an EWC NCM300 and was able to easily wire it up myself. I could not get my Ecobee 4 thermostats to function correctly at all with the old control board.

Astuff voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-13-19, 06:45 AM
Hi Pete,

Thanks for taking a look. Please let me know if I can get this to work without having to purchase a new control board.

Thanks,
Shakir

Old 06-22-19, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
How is zone 2 stat wired?

Does zone 2 stat go blank?

Zone 1 is the master stat with that zone control board. I would expect zone 2 to lose the ability to heat if zone 1 demands cooling.

It is very inefficient to heat one part of the house and cool another.
Modern zone control board handle this by setting a time delay before trying to satisfy the second zone by switching modes. Modern zone controls are still not capable of Simultaneous heating and cooling.

A Daikin 3 pipe system can heat one area while cooling another but That is a very large expense. You would need to replace all the AC equipment and run piping and add a second air handler.

Old 06-24-19, 01:58 PM
Hi,

When I set zone 1 to cool, zone 2 shuts off and zone 1 is still giving heat. I am not trying to have two different settings. I want both zones to heat or cool. It seems when both are on heat, it gives heat. However, when I switch zone 1 to cool, zone 2 thermostat just turns off and zone 1 switches to cool, but the unit is still giving heat.

Thanks,
Shakir

Old 06-24-19, 02:17 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
With the relay connected as in the diagram the zone 2 thermostat should always get power and never shut off.
Likely you have a different relay than pictured so the terminals are different. Can you provide relay model number and pics of your wiring?

Old 06-24-19, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
Astuff has a good point.

I used a 90-340 relay. It is a DPDT (double pole / double throw) relay with a 24VAC coil.

Like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Supco-90340-G...ateway&sr=8-10

or this...
https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-90-34...JASRN4ZDEH8HTA

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-19, 04:27 PM
Hi,

Local store didn't have those. I ended up using this:

https://www.functionaldevices.com/pr...ails/RIB2401D/

I found in one of the forum here that it too would work. Let me know if that is the problem and I will go hunt for the other ones. Thanks for all your help.

Also, do I need to change the master to "energize on cool" for AC to work?

Thanks,
Shakir