Trane air handler ramps unnecessarily

Old 01-16-19, 12:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane air handler ramps unnecessarily

I have a newly installed variable speed Trane heat pump and air handler. The models are 4TWV8036A1 for the compressor, and TEM8A0C36V31DA for the air handler. My complaint is that with the system controlling at a set temperature, say 73 degrees, for a long period of time (and with a fairly low heat requirement) I would expect that the compressor and air handler would be operating at a low % of compressor speed and a low air flow rate just to meet the heat demand. While it does do that some of the time, quite often the air handler will ramp from a low flow rate up to a very high flow rate over a two minute or so period, stay at the very high flow rate and then abruptly shut down. It might then be completely shut down for 15-20 minutes, and then repeat the ramp up-shut down cycle once more.

The problem is that the high flow rate is noisy coming out of the registers and is very disturbing, especially in the middle of the night when it can wake one out their sleep. The other thing is, this doesn't make sense for a low heat load situation.

And I paid a lot of money for the variable speed, "very quiet" Trane system.

Is there an explanation why this is happening? Are there settings that can limit the maximum air handler fan speed to prevent too high a flow rate - therefore somewhat quieter? I haven't gotten much satisfaction from my Trane installer.

Old 01-16-19, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,966 Votes on 2,676 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not terribly familiar with that system but if it's new...... you paid good money for it..... call back the installer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: