A/C plumbing insulation turning into slime

Old 01-23-19, 07:49 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C plumbing insulation turning into slime

I need to replace the insulation on the copper lines running between the compressor and the air handler for a Friedrich 1 ton split system. The existing insulation is less than a year old and is turning into a slimy mess.

The lines are in a warehouse environment that is always subject to high humidity and 80 plus degrees year round. The insulation drips water throughout its length so it's not insulating.

I'm looking for a recommendation for what kind or brand of insulation to get to eliminate the dripping and provide proper insulation so as not to waste electricity. I also need an online site for where I can purchase the product as I'm on Roatan Island in the Caribbean and ship product out of Miami.

Thank You

Old 01-23-19, 09:43 AM
R
Received 154 Votes on 146 Posts
They likely didn’t use the proper thickness of insulation. 3/8” and 1/2” is normal, being your environment is what it is you may need 3/4” or even 1”, with all seams glued and taped.
Once insulation gets saturated, it acts as a sponge and doesn’t dry out.

Old 01-23-19, 09:50 AM
R
@roughneck77

Thank you for the reply.
I helped the installer push the insulation over the copper tubing - it was not cut. It is/was 3/8" thickness as I still have a piece of the original material.

Can you suggest what and where to purchase heavy duty replacement material? Internet search has not turned up anything of note.

Old 01-23-19, 10:38 AM
R
Received 154 Votes on 146 Posts
Do a search on armaflex pipe insulation. You’ll need the pipe size X desired wall thickness.
For example, 5/8” X 3/4” is 5/8” ACR tubing diameter with 3/4” wall thickness.

Old 01-23-19, 01:54 PM
R
@roughneck77

Thanks for the lead. I found that HomeDepot carries this product.

I looked it up and immediately wondered if it's made out of gold or silver, given the price.

Old 01-24-19, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
As long as it would fit closed cell foam pipe insulation for plumbing pipes whould work and be less expensive than Armaflex brand insulation.
Make sure you tape the split and joints between the sections to prevent moisture from forming due to air leaks.

Old 01-24-19, 05:48 AM
R
GregH:
The insulation that was used was 6' sections duct taped (and squashed) at the seams. Now I know I want a continuous length of insulation with prepared ends. Live and learn. To fix this test unit I'll probably end up with the Armaflex and install it carefully myself just for the experience.

For the restaurant project, The compressors will be just opposite the air handlers in most cases so I could use short lengths of non split insulation, maybe 1"x1/2" or better.

When the air handlers are a considerable distance from the compressors, I'm considering running slightly angled PVC plumbing with insulated lines therein so there's no possibility of condensate leaking inside the space to annoy patrons.

Attached Images  

Last edited by GregH; 01-25-19 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Reformat unintentional link

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: