plug to Y strainer seriously stripped

Old 02-05-19, 08:05 AM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
plug to Y strainer seriously stripped

Hello. I'm in a pickle. I had been using a regular wrench to remove the plug to my Y strainer and now the plug is severely stripped. I bought a locking crescent wrench today and it seems to have made matters worse. Please see these photos.

Bottom:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GwhJftGNntfWB81KA

Top:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tLGAAgjdpUmQRmKV8

Right:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dqu2JS6Azfmd82CT6

Left:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SVJ65eANUgdTEVaA

Someone is probably going to recommend taking off the nut. However, that's much harder (or at least it had been). I haven't been able to do it yet. I don't want to strip it too. Is there any workaround here? Desperate and no AC in Miami when it's getting hot.

Thanks!

Previous thread on this topic..... how-drain-these-lines-c-unit

Last edited by PJmax; 02-05-19 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added link and pics from link
Old 02-05-19, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Tony...... you're back.

I see a shutoff above the strainer. Is there another shutoff on the other water line ?
It may be time to replace the strainer.

Old 02-05-19, 02:50 PM
T
Yes, there is a red shutoff over the other line in the back. I turn them both 90 degrees to those lines to stop the water when I take off the plug. Then I turn them back a little and let lot some water to clean the filter. But I obviously can't do that now because of this plug issue. Thinking about buying a SAE bolt extractor socket set and tapping on the 1/4" socket and seeing if I can get it to say on snugly, after which I would try to ratchet it off.

Edit: I'm looking more for tips on how to remove the plug. I hope I posed this in the right forum.

Old 02-05-19, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
There is only one way that will come out now and this is with Vise Grip Pliers.
You need to get it out and take it to a plumbing supply for replacement. Get several.

Name:  bottom.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  47.1 KB

If you want the thread moved..... just tell me where to.

Old 02-05-19, 03:50 PM
T
Are you talking about these?

https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Ori...ce+Grip+pliers

I already used a locking crescent wrench and it didn't work. A specific product recommendation would really help. Burning up in here.

Old 02-05-19, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
A Crescent wrench requires a perfect square to lock on. You don't have that.
Use the round nose style..... not the long nose type. That will remove that plug.

It will take tightening up carefully to the point where it grabs solidly without cracking what's left.

Old 02-05-19, 07:56 PM
T
You are a genius and a life saver! Got that bad boy off with the 5" and 7" versions of these locking pliers!!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Qasg85ZXM

Thank you!!!!!!

Old 02-05-19, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. You're welcome.

Old 02-06-19, 07:39 PM
T
New issue

Hello again. Took the nut to the Y strainer off. Cleaned the filter. Then drained the water to clear the line. But it looks like a washer of some sort broke. I can't tell if taking off the nut did it or running the water without putting the nut back on did it. Here's what I'm talking about:

1. Split in washer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A2HS4MArrzkSFTRYA

Name:  split.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  56.9 KB

2. A top view that seems to show the damage more

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vSQnbB12GTRJ5UN2A

3. A view that seems to show that there is a washer of some sort attached to the faucet head that the nut is tightened down on

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLnkcsagNKynWhN28

So: (1) Is this a washer that comes off? (2) If so, how do I get it off? Just peel it? (3) If I can get it off, where do I get a replacement? An AC parts supplier? (4) What is the part's exact name? (5) What did I do to break it? Was it taking off the nut, running the water w/o putting the but back on, or both?

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by PJmax; 02-06-19 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added enlrged pic from link
Old 02-06-19, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
That's some type of gasket. It could be PTFE (poly) or teflon or nylon or just some composition crap that hardened. It just wore out from old age.
Flat ring gasket ? Not really sure what it's called. Take the nut into a plumbing supply.
Examples

On edit:
I came back and looked at your pictures again. That may be a copper washer. Some auto parts stores carry them. I don't remember how big though. Plumbing supplies will have them. Flat copper crush washer.
copper washers

Last edited by PJmax; 02-06-19 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 09:18 PM
T
Thanks. How does the copper washer stay on the faucet?

Old 02-06-19, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
The copper washer is soft and creates a gasket. It will stick just from being crushed tightly against the valve. It doesn't have to stick to seal. Many car oil drain plugs use the same type copper washer. They aren't meant to last forever. Every time the nut is tightened they flatten a little more.

Old 02-07-19, 04:16 AM
T
Okay. I'll just take it off then and take it to the plumbing supply store to get a replacement. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-19, 05:36 PM
T
Need more help

The AC stopped working again. I took the nut off, drained the water, then put it back on. But the water was leaking out. So I took it off again. What you identified as a copper crush washer is GONE! See here:

How it looked before I drained the water:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ws2FyHmi52wv1gnJ9

How it looked after:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/29d31HCbRv1NV6aPA

How the nut looks:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iDi21FVtuCCwfCqA7

Do you see how the nut looks like the grooved part is stripped off as well?

What supplies do I need from the plumbing store? I'm assuming I need a new nut. But what do I need in addition to that? This thing shouldn't be falling apartment simply because I'm taking it off. I am not using a brutal amount of force of anything. It's coming off smooth.

Need your help ASAP as must go to plumbing supply on lunch break tomorrow and stuck in this hot city with AC YET AGAIN!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

Name:  x1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  94.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-10-19 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 02-10-19, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
The ridges show that it definitely uses a copper crush ring. I have no idea why the nut is self destructing. The copper washer would probably seal ok if you removed the rest of the ridges.

Although at this point I'd change the entire strainer.

Old 02-10-19, 07:18 PM
T
Thanks. Those ridges on the nut are a washer. It comes right off. But that makes me think there was something on the nut AND something on the strainer head. I can't say for sure though. Thoughts?

Old 02-10-19, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Then maybe it was some type of composition gasket that split.
Those ridges are so the crush rings seal at high pressures. Not really high there.

If you don't want to change the entire assembly..... see what the plumbing supply has. Get copper if they have them. Get nylon or PTFE if they have them. Get a few different sealing gaskets and then you can determine which one works best. Skip any rubber gaskets. You must bring the nut so that they see the size.

Old 02-10-19, 08:09 PM
T
Okay. But, just so we are clear. I should be buy only ONE washer?

Old 02-10-19, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
You only need 1 washer to seal that fitting. If they have several types.... got one of each to try.

Old 02-10-19, 09:46 PM
T
OK. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-11-19, 05:31 PM
T
Two plumbing supply stores did not have them!!! I ordered some washers online, hoping that they'll fit. We'll see how it goes later this week when they arrive.

Is there anything else to do? Someone recommended "compound."

Old 02-11-19, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
How about auto parts stores ? They use the same copper rings. My auto parts stores has a pullout drawer of them.

Compound will make a mess.
As a temporary repair you could wrap the nut with teflon tape so that it is on the large part of the nut and back thread or two. The idea is to wrap it 5 times and then fold it over where the gasket would be. The tape will form as a seal. It should stay in place as a temporary repair.

Name:  nut.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  13.1 KB

Picture the gray band where the tape would be wrapped.

Old 02-11-19, 07:08 PM
T
Okay. I may go to the hardware store tomorrow. I've noticed that some of these washers are split. What is the split for? Does that impact the size of the washer? From what I can tell, this nut will take a washer that has an inner diameter of 30mm and an outer diameter of 38mm.

Old 02-11-19, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
It's the inner dimension that's most critical so it fits the bolt.
You don't want it to thread on to the nut or once it gets crushed it won't come off.

By split.... I'm assuming you mean like a lockwasher ?
No good.... that won't be water tight. The water would come out the split.

Old 02-11-19, 07:46 PM
T
Yes, a split lock washer is what they appear to have been using before. Okay. I won't get that.

The inner diameter is most important. Okay. Do you mean that it should be tight, loose, something else? 30mm might not be too tight. The part of the nut that you screw into the strainer, and over which the washer would go, seems to have an inner diameter of about 28 mm. However, it appears that the inner diameter of the old, broken washer is closer to 30 mm. The outer diameter seems to be 38mm on the nose. I wasn't finding any 28mm by 38mm washers, however, so I went with 30mm by 38mm, which seems to be more standard.

EDIT: They are called "split lock washers."

Old 02-11-19, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
30mm sounds like it'll work ok.

Old 02-12-19, 05:06 AM
T
I'll post back on Thursday.

Old 02-14-19, 03:56 PM
T
Unfortunately, didn't fit. It needs more like 29mm x 39mm, though even those measurements are slightly off. It's irregular. Furthermore, the original has little grooves that seem to match the grooves on the strainer head. The original's ring was also wider than the ring of the washers I bought. I just think it's a specialized washer that comes only with the strainer itself.

The owner called A/C "techs." I didn't fully understand them because they were speaking to me in Spanish. They seemed to say that putting the strainer on was a bad idea. They seemed to say that they need to put on a metal pipe that does not have a strainer so that there is more pressure in the line. Further, they seemed to say that, if there were more pressure in the line, the debris would be cycled through the AC and back out through the pipe that carries the warm water that has left the compressor.

Does this make sense to you? The former maintenance man here told me that apartments on the lower floors have this problem because the tubes that carry the water down from the tanks on the top of the building are cheap, which causes excess debris to come down the lines and to interfere with the AC's functioning. He didn't mention anything about a strainer being a part of the problem. Indeed, the pipe that the strainer is on appears to be new. Even the techs noted this. Why would the other tech have put on the strainer if it was such a bad idea?

What gives here? Thanks.

Old 02-14-19, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with your system but if there is enough crap in the water to clog that filter.....
it WILL clog the coil requiring it to be flushed out.

Old 02-15-19, 06:44 AM
T
OK. I see the AC is new. That's probably what happened before. Thanks.

Old 02-24-19, 05:23 PM
T
OK. The owner is going to have a new strainer installed, which may or may not help. The issue seems to be that the filter is constantly getting clogged with that debris. In the meantime, I will have to keep taking off the nut and cleaning the strainer. Ridiculously, you have to do it like every four days.

I watched the AC tech wrap some kind of white plumber's tape around part of the nut to create the seal. I don't know if this was the "teflon tape" that you referred to earlier. Could you please tell me its most common name so that I can buy some? Also, any tips you have about using it would be great. I watched him, so I already have an idea. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-19, 05:34 PM
T
Okay, it appears that they used teflon tape. But what size should I get? Most of the ones on Amazon are 1/2", which seems to big for that little nut. Also, if the nut is facing me, I assume I wrap in a counterclockwise direction, starting with the washer part of the nut (i.e., the flat part that the washer goes on) and getting on a little onto the part where the threads meet the washer.

Old 02-24-19, 08:52 PM
T
ntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntnt

Last edited by TonySexton; 02-24-19 at 08:55 PM. Reason: changed my mind
Old 02-24-19, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
You can buy teflon tape anywhere. All home improvement stores have it in the plumbing section. The wrapping will be a little experimental. The tape holds by stretching it. There is no glue on it. 1/2" is fine.

Old 02-25-19, 06:58 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
If the strainer is clogging every 4 days or so, there is a fairly major problem with the loop that will end up causing damage somewhere. Exactly how much damage depends on how long the owner ignores the problem.
Strainers aren’t built to be cleaned that often.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: