AC Options

Old 02-06-19, 06:43 AM
S
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Question AC Options

Hello

I'm about to start a limited renovation project on an older investment property (2600 sqft home) that has no AC and uses baseboard units for heating. I want to take out the baseboard units and put in an AC system. Since I'm going to replace the 1st floor tile ceiling I figured it would be a good time to do this what with the joists exposed. I think I would be limited to floor registers for the 2nd floor as the attic only has 3 ft of verticle headroom. I suppose ductwork could be run up there but it would have to be an awfully small person to get up there and install it. For a typical low volume AC system there is a laundry room on the 1st floor that might have enough space for an air handler, the compressor location would be an issue though as the home has a stone veneer and the only place to put a compressor would be on the opposite side of the house from the air handler. Also a trunk would have to be built to accomodate ductwork up to the attic if 2nd floor ceiling registers were used. It just seems like that type of system would not be easy to install.

So I've been looking at the small duct HVAC systems and would like to hear anyone's experience with those or any other possible options excluding window units or ductless wall units.

thanks

Old 02-06-19, 07:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
I would stick with traditional HVAC systems for cost reasons if doing this for investment. You can look at package units which would put all the mechanicals outside the home so you don't loose space in the laundry room though you still would need room for ductwork.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: