Trane XE1000 not cooling

Old 04-13-19, 11:00 AM
Trane XE1000 not cooling

My wife kicked on the A/C for the first time last week and it ran all day without cooling.

-Everything sounds normal and the breaker never trips
-Condenser fan runs.
-I think the compressor is running.
-Compressor is not shorted to ground.
-Both in/out lines are room temperature.
-Contactor functions normally (I don't remember if I checked voltage past the contactor, I'll check again)
-There is a constant red LED blink on the board, about 1 every second.

I replaced the capacitor, but it turns out I don't think my meter reads 45mf very well, and that did not fix the problem. (the 5mf side reads fine) Is that normal? It was showing something like .125nf on the old and new one.

I'm running out of things to troubleshoot, and I'm not as sure about what low voltage type things to check as I am about the basic stuff. Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-19, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
-Both in/out lines are room temperature.
If both refrigerant lines are the same temperature..... your compressor is not running.
It's not the contactor as your fan is running.
Usually if it's a cap problem the compressor will cycle and default on high heat. You should hear it doing that.

My diagnosis..... compressor bad or wiring on compressor.
If you check the wiring at the compressor you must wear safety glasses to minimize the injury from escaping refrigerant in case of a rupture.

Old 04-13-19, 01:15 PM
Makes sense. I'll dig into that next. I like how you said "minimize the injury", not prevent injury.

Old 04-14-19, 02:25 PM
Well, no dice. The wiring at the compressor looks perfect.

The resistance is 1, 2, & 3 ohms at the compressor terminals.

I got a new meter that's not flaking out, and the old capacitor still appears to be good at 45uf.

The draw on startup jumps to about 85A for a split second and then settles in at a constant 15A.

I don't know what's going on now.

Old 04-14-19, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
If you can actually hear the compressor humming...... you're out of refrigerant, There should be a low pressure switch to keep the contactor from closing on low pressure but they get bypassed.

Old 04-14-19, 08:55 PM
So I guess I have to find a guy who will still do R-22 and have them hunt down a leak?

Old 04-14-19, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Since the system is empty....... it would suggest a good sized leak. At this point you would #1 confirm that there is no refrigerant and #2 use nitrogen to check for large noisy leaks. A tech would never fill that system with R22 to check for a leak. (so don't let them do it).