AC fan blower

Old 04-29-19, 10:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC fan blower

Im new to this forum and I have been searching the internet to find out what could be wrong with my ac fan blower. It is 5 yrs old and I already had a technician out to my house and they said everything checks out fine. The capacitor was replaced on my fan blower because it was a little under the numbers( math is not my thing) so I went ahead and had him change it just in case. Anyways, this whole problem with my blower started last year or so, the ac will kick on and it sometimes takes the blower 2-3 mins before it kicks on. The technician said that is normal because that is how newer units are more efficient. But also sometimes when the ac kicks on then a couple of seconds that blower will kick on. I have lived in this house for 4 years and I'm a stay at home mom so I'm home all the time to where I notice when things start to not go right. Then last night the ac kicked on and the blower did not come on at all. Then the ac turned off. Then maybe 5 min. or so later the ac unit kicked on again and the blower still didn't come on. Then the ac turned off like normal. I even checked the thermostat to see if the "cool on" was flashing and it wasn't. Maybe a few minutes went by (who knows it was 2 am I wasn't timing it, but I should have) it comes on again and then probably a minute or so the blower fan kicks on and blows for a couple of seconds and then the fan shut off. It did that two times. Also sometimes when the blower is trying to come on it (i don't know if its the blower or ac)makes a loud pound sound. I really don't know how to explain the sound. It runs the same way when the heat is on. It takes the blower a long time to kick in. Is the blower taking so long to kick in because the cooling coils have to reach a certain temp before the blower will kick in to blow the cool air thru the ducts? My unit is a 4 ton package American Standard Heat pump model #4WCC3048A

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-19, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's a little hard trying to get a handle on your problem.
Try this...... you should have a FAN ON position on your thermostat. Does that start the fan ?

Old 05-01-19, 09:15 AM
I turned the ac unit off and just turned the Fan on and it took it a couple of seconds to start but it did turn on. I thought maybe it was my thermostat going bad but when I did hit the fan on and it turned on I was like, ok maybe its not the thermostat.

Old 05-01-19, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Since FAN ON does work correctly..... it's not likely to be a thermostat problem.
I'd be more inclined to think it's a blower problem. If it gets hot while running.... then there is definitely a problem there.

Old 05-04-19, 09:07 PM
I had the tech come out again hand he couldnt fjnd any thing really wrong again but tried the thermostat and he chznged ours out with a different one and the blower came on like i think its supposed to and i said it does that sometimrs and so he shut it off and turbed turned it on again and it came on normal so he was like its the thermostat. So today i go get a new thermostat and it still runs long. I guess i just dont know what to do except try not to go crazy. Thanks for you input.