Pouring Drano down a clogged drainage tube in a split type A/C

Old 05-01-19, 10:08 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pouring Drano down a clogged drainage tube in a split type A/C

I work in Information Tech so my knowledge of air conditioners is limited. I hired someone to maintenance my split type aircon in the small condo I am living in now because it was leaking water like crazy, like a lot, like raining inside the bedroom from the aircon. He disassembled and cleaned the air conditioning inside unit and sprayed the outside unit with water pressure hose. Then he poured Liquid Sosa down the drainage tube (we are in Philippines, this is like Liquid Drano or Liquid Plumber, an acid type liquid that you pour in a clogged sink drain to de-clog it).
My question is: Is this dangerous to my health? Only a week or two after he maintenanced it, it started leaking again but only very little this time, a few drops now and then. But I have started to get terrible sore throats and coughing which seems to be caused by the air conditioner which I usually run all night. I even have an air purifier and a humidifier which I use in the same room as the air conditioner but these very bad sore throats still come back at night when I use the air conditioner and get better in daytime after I turn off the air conditioner. It's so painful that I feel it's more than just dry air causing it and I am wondering if the Liquid Sosa has somehow got into the circulation of the system and the air blowing out of the air conditioner is being contaminated by it so I am breathing that Liquid Sosa (Liquid Drano)? Is that even possible? Thanks in advance for any help received here.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-19, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,174 Votes on 1,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The condensate drain from the A/C gets clogged with dust, dirt and algae. Liquid drain cleaner is the absolute last thing to use for that type of system. That acid will eat the evaporator coil fins. The drain line needs to be flushed out and bleach is the only cleaner that is needed. After the bleach is run thru..... it should be flushed with clean water. If this is a dusty, dirty area..... this may have to be done twice a season.

Old 05-02-19, 12:40 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJmax Thanks for your reply, and the welcome. Your reply was informative but didn't touch on health complications which is what I am most concerned about. I am currently coughing and wheezing and getting bad sore throats at night when I use the air conditioner. This didn't happen before he maintenanced it. And no the Liquid Sosa was not flushed with clean water afterwards and it did overflow and splatter out onto the floor while he was trying to pour it all in.

Old 05-02-19, 11:37 AM
T
Received 16 Votes on 12 Posts
I would look up and read the caution information on that product. This is a USA based board and members most likely will not be familiar with health warnings on products in other countries.

Old 05-02-19, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Chemical drain cleaners are very strong chemicals. You might be having a reaction to the chemicals. You should dilute and wash away the drain cleaner with a lot of clean water.

Old 05-02-19, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,174 Votes on 1,089 Posts
It can't be healthy breathing those fumes. Those cleaners contain acid which is most likely becoming airborne as the water evaporates off the coil. Everything needs to be flushed with clean water.

Old 05-03-19, 03:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are in Cebu, I will be there for a couple days next week and take a look for you. Not an AC tech but have a bit of experience with my own mini splits.

No charge, only going to the big city to get away from the province for a few days.