Mini split size?

Old 05-04-19, 01:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mini split size?

Looking for recommendations of a mini split size for my small house.

I've got a 400 SQ. Ft. Living room facing west in Seattle (house is 900sq ft total).

In the summer my whole house is exposed to direct sunlight all day long. By the mid morning the living room is hot and by the late afternoon it's boiling. This is probably only for a couple months a year but I've got forced air heaters in the wall so the mini split would be used for heating most of the year in an attempt to cut down on electrical bills.

The house is well insulated. It's basically a double wide in shape with the front half my living room and the back half two bedrooms. I'm trying to figure out what size system to get for the living room with the hope that some of the cool air will travel down the hallway and aid in reducing the temp in the rest of the house as well but I have limited expectations for this.

I'm trying to DIY so was looking at the mrcool DIY series. The 24k unit seems like a great deal but am I going way over size with this? If the living room unit worked out well we might add another in the back master bedroom which would pretty much cover the whole house. If I was doing that upfront it would probably make sense to put in two 12k units. We would keep the in wall heater for my son's room as backup heating in the winter. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. My neighbor paid 7k for the pro install of his system and he has the same house I do. No way am I paying 7k for that when I can run electrical myself and do everything with confidence except charging the lines. That's why I'm looking at mrcool DIY. A local HVAC contractor has 4k as average price of a single zone system. This seems completely insane to me. Maybe if it involved running lines 30 ft and fishing electrical all over the house but for me it's simple to locate head unit on wall and place compressor outside on the same wall. I can easily run electrical from my exterior located panel. I have respect for the trade but in Seattle its highway robbery from contractors right now.

Old 05-04-19, 04:02 PM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
You’ll have to run a manual J to determine size. Even with variable speed there’s no reason to oversize.
A lot of these no name minis come with problems. And don’t work well compared to larger known brands.
I’ve never seen or worked on that brand.

Old 05-06-19, 07:22 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Why not get a good system that will be able to heat your house? Down side is they cost money because they work. Normally one ton would be way oversized for 400 square feet but a heat load must be done to know for sure.

Old 05-13-19, 12:18 PM
C
the AC installation costs are generally very high. here in LA I called a company, they wanted 5k for a single unit install. sure, a Mrcool diy might not last as long as a good Japanese unit, but for the cost of the installation you can buy 3-4 Mrcool units and put a new one in if it breaks.

the advantage of the mrcool diy is that you don't need fancy equipment to connect the lines, you literally just screw the lines together. while they come with a warranty, if you buy them at costco you can return it if you can't get it fixed. in fact, I'm installing 2 units myself. I personally wanted the 12k but they are out of stock so I got 2 18k units from costco. the costco price is so much lower than others for the same unit that it makes sense for you to pay for membership and get it from them (I imagine costco sells them in Washington too).

feel free to send me a private message or ask questions here if you have questions as I'm in the middle of the installation, doing everything myself.

now if you own your house and plan to live there, you may also want to consider spending a bit extra and buying a Japanese unit for the upgrade in quality. you would have to vacuum the lines, which is an extra step you need to learn and buy equipment for. however, you could also call a local contractor and see if they are willing to charge you only to connect the lines (which involves vacuuming and doing a pressure test). a called a local guy who has good reviews and he quoted $350 for connecting 1 unit line set.

Old 05-15-19, 12:03 AM
J
Thanks for the info CaliBear Didn't know they sold the mrcools at Costco so thanks for that tip as well. I'm starting to think I might want to put in a two zone system(or 2 mrcools) if I'm gonna bother doing it. You said you were putting in 2 of the diy units. If your contractor quoted $350 for just hooking up lines, what sold you on the mrcools vs a cheaper non diy and having an HVAC guy hook up the lines? I've got a simple layout if I want to put in two units all on the same wall. Wondering if I should go down the rabbit hole of looking for an HVAC quote hooking up lines on a 2 zone system and doing a self install for everything else which is mostly carpentry and electrical. Would be nice to only have one outdoor unit.

Old 05-20-19, 01:00 PM
C
I went with mrcool because of costco return policy. if it stops working a few months in and the company doesn't honor the warranty I can just return it to costco. because of this it's kind of implied that if they were truly abysmal and regularly failing within 2 months, costco would likely not carry them because they'd make a loss on them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: