"Wait" status on Honeywell for A/C

Old 05-07-19, 10:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Wait" status on Honeywell for A/C

Not sure if this is the right section but I'm having an issue with my AC. It hasn't been used since the end of last summer and now when I try to turn it on my Honeywell 8000 series thermostat says "Wait" and it doesn't ever come on.

Heat works just fine as does the fan. Pulled the thermostat off the wall and the batteries were corroded. Replaced them with new batteries and reinstalled it and still getting the wait message.

Next step in troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-19, 08:37 AM
S
Getting proper voltage between the RC terminal and the others. Jumped RC to G and the fan kicked on, then jumped RC to Y and nothing happened (well a tiny bit of sparking but the compressor didn't turn on)

Old 05-08-19, 10:42 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
You have to see if the outdoor unit is getting voltage between Y and C. shut disconnect off outside, leave air handler on, jumper R and Y at stat, then check.

What's the model number of the outdoor unit?

Last edited by PJmax; 05-08-19 at 07:55 PM. Reason: replaced C with Y
Old 05-08-19, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Does it still say wait after 5 minutes of cooling demand ?
There is a 5 minute delay built in to many thermostats.

Old 05-08-19, 09:48 PM
S
Yes, it says wait indefinitely. It hasn't been able to turn on at all. Haven't used it since the end of last summer. Getting good voltage everywhere and the compressor was replaced 3 years ago. The capacitor looked ok visually but it was getting sporadic readings on my multimeter so I just ordered a new one to see if that's the problem.

Old 05-08-19, 11:12 PM
Group Moderator
Doubtful it's a capacitor problem. If it was...... the unit would be sitting there and humming loudly.

Did you get 240vAC where the main power connects to the contactor ?
Did you get 24vAC on the contactor coil ?
Is the contactor closing ?

**********************************************************************************
The Thermostat has built-in compressor protection (minimum off timer) that prevents the compressor from restarting too early after a shutdown. The minimum-off timer is activated after the compressor turns off. If there is a call during the minimum-off timer, the thermostat shows “Wait” in the display. When the minimum-off timer expires, “Cool On” appears solidly in the display and the compressor and fan turn on.

This has me concerned. If your stat is staying in wait mode..... it cannot turn on the condenser or blower. Are you sure you are measuring the voltages that are needed ?

Old 05-30-19, 07:09 AM
S
Sorry for the delayed response. I've had three different visits from a local HVAC repair company.

First tech tested stuff for a while and said they needed to run a new wire from the furnace above the garage to the condenser unit outside.

Two guys came the next day and didn't even know what they were there to do (and forgot to bring their tools). I told them what the first tech told me and they proceeded to do the same trouble shooting steps he did and they told me I needed a new wire run and then left.

Third visit was the service manager, he did run the new wire but then he seemed to be getting flustered and said it wasn't the wiring, the contactor wasn't engaging and everything was wired wrong from when it was installed. He left and said he'd talk to the first tech. Waited a week, I finally called them and the original tech said they recommend a whole new unit install because my system is so old it's not worth putting money into. $5500.

I know there is a newer (3 years) compressor out in the condenser unit. The house and unit are 20 years old so not terribly old but also not that new. Definitely don't want to shell out that much money. Going to check YouTube and see if I can trouble shoot the contactor next

Old 05-30-19, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
WOW.... what a set of characters. I'm really disappointed in the current crop of service people. Not everyone can justify replacing a "should be working system" with a brand new system.

Do you have a meter ?
Do you know how to use it ?
When checking on the contactor...... the power to the condenser should be off.

Old 05-30-19, 12:28 PM
S
Thank you for the help!

I do have a meter, not super great at using it but I can usually figure it out. I will check the contactor voltage later after I get home from work.

Old 06-01-19, 09:27 AM
S
I am getting 237vAC where the main power is coming in, I assume that is close enough.
If I manually press in the contactor the fan comes right on on the condenser.
I had the thermostat call for cooling and checked the low voltage connectors on the side of the contactor and am getting zero volts. I removed the wire nuts and checked the control wire coming from the furnace and still get nothing.
The original diagnosis was a bad control wire...the last set of guys did run a new wire (sloppily I might add) from the furnace up above the garage outside and wired it to the contactor. Seems like it's not hooked up correctly.

Old 06-01-19, 09:33 AM
S
The contactor actually looks fairly new, I'm guessing they replaced it when the new compressor was installed three years ago.

Old 06-01-19, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
When checking on the contactor...... the power to the condenser should be off.
It's not going to be a problem with the high voltage. The contractor will close even if the high voltage is disconnected.

You are looking for 24vAC on the contactor coil. Probably missing.
Your thermostat demands cool and 24vAC comes out of the thermostat on the Y terminal. Usually that's a yellow wire. At the air handler.... your condenser should connect to the C terminal or wire and the yellow wire from the stat. That's what you need to check with the meter.

Old 06-03-19, 09:29 AM
S
So the yellow wire from the condenser connects to the yellow wire from the thermostat (Y terminal)
The blue wire from the condenser connects to the blue wire from the thermostat (C terminal) and a ground wire that is bolted to the body of the air handler. I've attached a photo of the wire nut connections and of the board itself if that is at all helpful.

Should I unscrew the wire nuts and put a probe on each wire and see if I'm getting voltage?

Attached Images    
Old 06-03-19, 09:56 AM
S
Pulled the thermostat off the wall and am testing the terminals on that again and it isn't getting any voltage running to it.

Old 06-04-19, 07:19 AM
S
Transformer has 120vAC going into it but nothing coming out, that would explain the dead board.

Old 06-04-19, 09:57 PM
S
Removed the transformer, the 120v side is showing 1.0 resistance with the meter but OL on the low voltage side. Hoping to find a replacement tomorrow and install it.

Seems odd that the furnace and blower fan were working initially, only the condenser was originally failing to come on. Sounds like usually the wiring from the furnace to condenser is usually the problem but once that was replaced the whole transformer burned out. I'm a bit concerned there is something else going on here but maybe with the new wiring being run all will be ok.

Old 06-05-19, 11:22 AM
S
Installed new transformer and the LED on the furnace board lit back up. Told the thermostat to call for cooling and nothing happened.
LED not lit anymore after that.
Transformer is getting 120v in and outputting a sturdy 27v.
Fuse on the board was blown, tested the socket where the fuse goes and it was receiving the 27v just fine.

Old 02-16-20, 09:52 AM
P
Did you get it resolved? I'm getting the "wait" on my thermostat also. would live to know what your problem actually was.

Old 02-16-20, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Wait usually tells me that you have a low voltage short.
Do you have a heat pump?
Does this problem occur in heat mode or cool mode?

Old 02-17-20, 06:32 AM
P
Yes have heat pump and yes wait in both modes.

Old 02-18-20, 05:28 AM
P
Fixed

Had a tech come out. Found yellow wire shorting to copper tubing at compressor.
Thanks All

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: