AC Fan not spinning

Old 05-08-19, 07:44 AM
AC Fan not spinning

I have a goodman A/C unit ( I'll get the model type when I get home) that turns on but the fan doesn't spin. First started a few months ago, when the heat was on, I was outside and noticed a rattling noise. I couldn't tell where it coming from so I just turned off the unit. Never turned on the unit after that and just used a portable heater.

Fast forward a few months later its getting warmer, wanted to test the AC. No rattling this time and I can hear components working and feel a mixture of hot and cold air but the fan doesn't spin.

Did some reading some say its a dual run capacitor but that only seems to work in instances the fan would start or spin slowly. I tested the unit with the multimeter I get a charge from C to herm ( again can't remember the values) but I don't get anything from C to fan?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-19, 01:21 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
Since the compressor is running, it's either the fan capacitor (1/2 of the dual capacitor), or the fan motor itself. A common symptom of a bad fan capacitor is that if you give the fan a "push", it will startup and run. Obviously, the outside unit needs to be running. If the fan starts after giving it a push, then it's likely the capacitor. If it still doesn't spin, then it's likely the motor. Since the outside unit was making a rattling noise previously, it may be bad bearings in the fan motor.

Don't run the outside unit for more than a few minutes without the condenser fan running, as you'll overheat the compressor.

diyboonies voted this post as helpful.
Old 05-10-19, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the response. I ordered a new fan capacitor but still no dice. Fan doesn't move at all.

I'm going to order a new fan motor and see if that helps.

Old 05-10-19, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Welcome to the forums.

I had responded to this last night but see my reply is not here.

When you heard the noise from the fan..... that was your signal that the bearings are bad.
When you order a new motor..... be sure to check what size cap it needs.
They do not all use the same value.

diyboonies voted this post as helpful.
Old 05-13-19, 07:11 AM
Oh wow, a good thing I turned it off when I did. I was able to find the exact same model fan motor. :-) I guess I have 2 capactors now also.