Ac issue - no cold air but thermostat , drip pan and blower all functional

Old 07-23-19, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello PJmax, roughneck77 and others,

So after the refrigerant was added (almost 7lbs), 6 weeks past - and bam - no A/C again - as expected and predicted by you both.

I decided to find someone more reliable and trustworthy - got a recommendation from a friend.

The HVAC company came by last week - they said they refrigerant was again low, and that they would refill it and then add nitrogen to monitor for the leak, do pressure checks, etc - but nothing obvious was determined (as they came back the next day to assess).
They confirmed ALL joints, schrader valves were not the source of the leak.
They then 'closed off' the condensor to the rest of the system- to assess if the loss was coming from the indoor air handler coils - and that did not show any leak as well... although they did admit that it is hard to visualize ALL aspects of the coils. So they feel the leak is coming from the outdoor condensors coils.

1)
So, since they were not able to visually see a leak from the condensor coils and as from what they told me, one cannot isolate the condesor coils to the rest of the system to be 100% sure that it is the condesor, it seems I may need to just take a leap and have them replace the outdoor unit condensor?

Thoughts?

2)
As an aside - even though it is certain that a leak must be present... I did notice during the >90 degree temps we have had in the past few days (before it stopped working) that the air flow from the vents was slow and it was not so cool - and the HVAC company noted that it is VERY, VERY hot in the attic and that is likely also effecting the A/C ability to get the temp down at a faster rate. Anyway, I thought there IS a fan in the attic that is intended to BLOW hot air out of the attic. Perhaps I should ensure they confirmed that this is working?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links