LRA and Circuit Size

Old 05-21-19, 08:17 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LRA and Circuit Size

Hello!
I'm installing four small fridges in my farm stand (QBD model DC7HG, or Pepsi fridges). The FLA for each one is only 3.0A, but the LRA is a whopping 21.3A. I had planned use two 15A circuits and put two fridges on each one. I'm guessing this is large enough, even when pulling the LRA for a split-second, since none of these fridges have a 20A plug. But I'd like to make sure. Any comments?
Thanks.

Old 05-21-19, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
I don't know if they would even pull their locked rotor amperage when starting. I would say you are safe but if you want extra margin you could install two 20 amp circuits to give you a little more room.

Old 05-21-19, 10:40 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Due to the actual voltage drop during startup, the device will draw about 70% of the LRA. So a 15 amp circuit will probably work for a single refrigerator without tripping the breaker during startup. But if you put two refrigerators on a circuit then you can expect the circuit breaker to trip everytime after a power outage and subsequent startup. The combined LRA will be closer to 30 amps during simultaneous startups. Therefore you should only put one refrigerator on each 15 amp circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: