AC unit is blowing cold air, but not cooling the house?

Old 05-25-19, 09:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AC unit is blowing cold air, but not cooling the house?

Hello,
I turned the AC unit on for the first time this year. Mind you last year it was working just fine. When I turned it on I noticed the house not cooling down so I went to check on the unit outside. The fan wasn't blowing but the unit was trying to kick on. So, I changed the capacitor. Once I changed that out the fan was blowing and cold air was coming through the vents.

After about two hours I noticed the temperature wasn't changing. Though it was slightly more comfortable, the temperature wasn't budging from 78 degrees. I went to check the unit again and the fan was still spinning, I still felt cold air but all the pipes connecting to the unit were frozen. Assuming this isn't a good thing since it has never happened before, I immediately shut off the unit and turned on the fan in hopes it would defrost but.......now what? I really don't want to have to call someone out due to expenses but from my research, it might be low freons. Meaning I would have to. Any advice? or has anyone experienced something similar? Everything I have read has said that typically cold air won't blow from the vents if the freon is leaking or low. So I am now at a loss!
Any advice is gratefully appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-19, 03:40 AM
R
Received 103 Votes on 97 Posts
Is the blower running? Is the air filter clean? Is the evaporator clean?

Old 05-26-19, 09:53 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Are you getting a normal amount of air out of the vents? If not, then your evaporator is probably iced over (frozen). As Roughneck mentioned, if the air filter is clean and the evaporator coil isn't terribly dirty, then you're probably low on refrigerant. You would have to have a technician come out and connect his gauges to determine if you are low on refrigerant. If you are, the leak should be found and repaired before recharging the system.