Carrier condenser fan not working

Old 05-29-19, 12:05 PM
Unhappy Carrier condenser fan not working

Hey y'all. I have a conundrum. I have a "new to me" Carrier Unit that was installed a few years ago. Monday, Memorial Day (oh joy), I noticed it was VERY warm in my house. I have been doing renovations in my 1929 house, so you know the dust stirred up is monumental. It had only been a month since I replaced the filter, but as I realized my fan outside was no longer moving, I ran in to check the filter --- GEEZ - ridiculously dirty. I had a spare one, so I turned off the unit, replaced the filter, let it rest for about a couple of hours. Turned it back on and....nothing. Knowing this happened before on a previous unit, I replaced the start capacitor because the run capacitor still tested good at the parts place. Still nothing. It has a very low hum and a mild vibration due to the voltage getting into the outside unit. However, the fan still does not move. I tried to start with a stick, but it didn't kick on. I don't hear it even try to kick on. A neighbor "diagnosed" it as a bad compressor (he never touched it). I'm thinking it's the condenser motor n the fan. Any suggestions? I don't have a meter to check this and I'm terrified of electrical, but certainly can't afford a condenser.

My cheapness has overcome my fear of electrocution.

Last edited by Cheapvsfear; 05-29-19 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-19, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Welcome to the forums.

Electricity entering doesn't make any noise.
The 240vAC must be confirmed TO the contactor.
Is the contactor actually closing ? That could make a faint humming sound.

If the contactor closed and your compressor was bad or wouldn't start...... you'd typically hear a loud hum and the fan would run. Since neither is apparently running. Voltages need to be checked.