Compressor working but not indoor blower. What's the usual culprit?

Old 06-04-19, 07:53 AM
Compressor working but not indoor blower. What's the usual culprit?

I have a basic central hvac system in SWFL and it's done this before but I believe it just turned out to be the fan which I replaced over a year ago. I remember I was suspecting a possible capacitor issue. Maybe that's what it is this time? I believe this has happened a couple times after replacing the fan but occurring intermittently so this could be related to that. I'll find out soon enough and report back. Just fishing here for ideas before I go climbing up there. I'll look for obvious things like a loose wire or something.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-19, 03:47 PM
Upvotes Received: 26
Check for a call for the fan on the low voltage terminal block. Check for voltage to the fan motor.

juntjoo voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-04-19, 04:52 PM
Upvotes Received: 8
Hi, will the fan run if the Tstat is set to fan? also you can jump R to G at the Tstat to see if it runs.
Geo

juntjoo voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-04-19, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
If you just changed the blower motor last year..... you may have used the wrong motor.
One year life from a motor is not satisfactory.

Old 06-04-19, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

Since it's working atm I've got voltage so I'm guessing it's not the fan itself.

And I don't believe I have a (just) fan setting or at least I don't recall ever seeing one. Might it be there but not on my "tstat"(thermostat?)? I have a basic nest one. I'm in bed now but I'll check that out. Not that I need it but I suppose it will make diagnosing a bit easier.

I'm thinking then either the capacitor or control board. Or the fan? How likely is that pjmax? You mean like I didn't get the "oem" one or something? Like I got a cheap one? All I know is I got what the main parts place told me I need. I believe I wmet through this before but since it kept working I just let it go. So maybe I got a weak fan? Or weak capacitor? Or weak control board? I hope whatever it is it's the cheapest to replace!

Old 06-05-19, 04:17 AM
Before replacing any parts, you must diagnose the unit first.
Do you have a meter?

Old 06-05-19, 09:32 AM
Yes, I have a digital and an analog one.

Old 06-05-19, 09:33 AM
Then check for voltage to the blower, and for a call for the blower to run.

Old 06-05-19, 09:49 AM
Well right now I'm reading up on all the different diagnostic tests I can do for when I go up there(in the attic). And it's working now so I'm assuming I'll have voltage. Just leaving it hot during the day and a little cool at night so I can sleep. Feel free to provide input. So googling "intermittent hvac blower"...