Any leeway on A/C minimum window width requirements ?

Old 06-15-19, 02:42 PM
Question Any leeway on A/C minimum window width requirements ?

I want to buy a window air conditioner that lists the minimum window width required as 28 inches, however my window width is 27 5/8 inches, only a mere 3/8 inch shy of their stated minimum, is there usually any leeway at all, at least enough that 3/8 inch won't be enough to keep me from fitting that air conditioner in my window ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-19, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
How wide is the AC unit at the widest point which has to fit through the window?

GKL50 liked this post.
Old 06-15-19, 03:27 PM
Thanks for your reply, the web page lists the width as 23.625 inches b[color=left=#333333]ut I assume that does not include the sliding side panels.[/color]

Old 06-15-19, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
If the side panels are removable, this may work. If not, you need to figure out the width with them attached.

GKL50 liked this post.
Old 06-15-19, 06:35 PM
Thanks, haven't been able to find any source that shows width with panels attached but the pictures I've seen shows the unit without panels attached, so as long as the side panels are not required for installation I could see about installing it without them. This is a unit I would order online so it's not like there is any local store that has it.

(I just wanted to be sure I would not have to ship it back if it didn't fit)

Thanks for your responses, it is appreciated !

Old 06-16-19, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
With the AC's I have seen the minimum window width is pretty close to exactly what is needed. They want to sell them to as many people as possible so they don't pad the number much. I would not buy an AC whose dimensions are bigger than your window unless you can modify the window to get the extra width.

Bud9051, GKL50 liked this post.
Old 06-16-19, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your response, it is appreciated !

Since the frame part that is 3/8 inch under their stated minimum is like a PVC type vinyl I could probably cut that much out if needed but I would prefer not to.

Like the previous poster suggested I could install it without the sliding side panels attached, I was just searching online and saw a picture someone posted of the same model I want to buy and they had it installed without the side panels.

Ultimately I am hoping the 3/8 inch difference won't stop me from doing a normal installation but just perhaps be a tight fit which would be fine, otherwise I would just not use the side panels.

Old 06-16-19, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Look up the specs for the AC you are considering. Many re-sellers only list the window size but the manufacturers often also tell you the size of the unit.

GKL50 liked this post.
Old 06-16-19, 02:57 PM
Thanks, while I haven't found the width size with the side panels attached, the one I'm looking at now has a width of 23.6 inches without the panels, so if I got this unit I might have to install it without the side panels if the panels can't be squeezed into the 27 5/8 window width. (it is a 15,000 BTU unit hence difficult to find smaller widths)

(I might still keep trying to see if I can find the width with side panels attached)

Old 06-17-19, 04:13 AM
I would try to find something locally , get the exact measurements , then see if you can find it online, could prevent a lot of hassle.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...4ce609c6fb.pdf
Geo

GKL50 liked this post.
Old 06-17-19, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the idea but we live in a semi-rural area, the store we would get it from is about 25 miles away and it is not kept in stock, we would have to order it online to have it shipped either to the store or to our house.

I think if I couldn't squeeze it in with the side panels then I'd just install it without the side panels, still might try to find width with panels somewhere online.