Mismatched new a-coil and compressor unit

Old 06-18-19, 11:38 AM
Mismatched new a-coil and compressor unit

Hi ladies and gents,

I have researched my question but didn't see it answered in a definite way. So I thought I would ask.

My parents are retired on a limited fixed income. I installed a new gas furnace for them two years ago, at the time they weren't living in the house - they were renting it. I am a DIY guy and this was the third install I did. It went really well. We installed a high efficiency furnace and at the time I put a Carrier a-coil on it but no outdoor unit due to funds. Now that it's getting hot in Pennsylvania, and they are living in the house they asked me to install the rest of it. I got a new - from the dealer Trane XR unit for the outside. Last night we ran the line set, power and LV wire. I don't have the tools to charge the system up, so I called out a contractor to do that. When he saw that it was a Carrier a-coil and a Trane outside unit he said that we can't do that, that it's not safe. Being that I have a few friends in the industry I asked a couple, and they told me that it's "ok", as long as the sizes match, which they do. That I may lose a small amount of efficiency but being that I saved a lot on the sourcing of the equipment that inefficiency would never make up for the cost difference had I bought matching stuff.

Equipment:
A-coil (new): Carrier
Model #: cnpvp3617ALAAAAA
Serial #: 2416X29877

Outside unit (new): Trane XR
Model #: 4TTR6030J1000AB
Serial #: 19152TDS5F

Question:
Is it ok to hook these up? I would define OK as it costing my parents $5-10 bucks a month or less extra in power.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-19, 01:34 PM
Upvotes Received: 3
Not best practice but it will work. Question is the coil a 3 ton and the outdoor a 2.5ton?

Old 06-19-19, 08:18 AM
You are correct, outside unit is 2.5t, inside unit 3t.

Old 06-19-19, 08:54 AM
Nope mismatched system. I would not do You could do that with R22 and get away with it. 410A not so much.

Old 06-19-19, 08:57 AM
Really? I thought it was always suggested to have a 1/2 ton bigger inside unit. Interesting. Really a bummer.

Old 06-20-19, 07:01 AM
Its never suggested to do that.

Old 06-20-19, 10:51 AM
Upvotes Received: 20
The 4ttr6 is a 16 seer machine, you should see what nominal coil capacity trane recommends and see how close the carrier coil is to that.

The 16 probably needs a large coil to actually hit the rating.

The coil tonnage ratings are generally for 13 seer units.

Nope mismatched system. I would not do You could do that with R22 and get away with it. 410A not so much.
Why would you say that? The refrigerant shouldn't make a difference.

Its very common to have the indoor coil rated half to one ton higher than the outdoor unit, sometimes even more for high-seer stuff.

I know goodman 1.5 ton condensers, even the 13s are often matched to 2 ton rated coils. Many others are probably the same.

As long as the coil is similar to what would be used for the size/efficiency, it should work fine.

The metering device has to be correct though. Ideally a txv should be used when the coil isn't a approved match.

Even if the coil is a bit oversized compared to what the manufacturer intended, on straight cool the result is slightly higher suction pressure and slightly increased capacity, slightly worse dehumidification.

The TXV should meter in proper amount of refrigerant.