Air conditioner sizing for office trailer

Old 06-20-19, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air conditioner sizing for office trailer

I am designing an 8.5' x 34' portable medical trailer with 4 compartments. My partner had originally designed it with four 13500 BTU roof mounted units per compartment and I am concerned that this is way too much and requires too much energy. Some google searches suggested an 8000-9000 BTU single unit would be sufficient for our approximate square footage of our trailer. I don't have a solid grasp on how large a system is necessary, especially being based out of Florida during the hot summer months. Is my search more accurate that his 4x135000 system?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-19, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

There really isn't enouigh info here to provide a decent answer to your question.

You say you are building a medical trailer with 4 compartments but do not say what else you have for ventilation or exhaust and if these compartments are enclosed rooms or an open plan with cubicles,
You also don't describe what type of medical procedures are provided.

You will need a specific air change for the trailer depending on what exactly medical procedures you are performing.
In order to offer any insight on what to do about a/c we need to know a lot more about what you are doing.
It is likely that your partner may be closer to the mark than what you want to do but we can only make an uneducated guess with the info we have.

Old 06-22-19, 05:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you designing the trailer from the ground up, or working with a trailer manufacturer to modify a baseline trailer? A manufacturer would already have these types of questions worked out- people live in mobile homes in Florida, for instance, so A/C sizing is likely a known factor.

They may also be able to advise on topics such as code requirements for commercial medical use, since those requirements may differ from a residential requirement as GregH suggests.

I've visited commercial mobile venues such as the bloodmobile, and locally the DMV sends a mobile office around as a convenience. Maybe the Red Cross would share experiences, since you both have mobile medical applications.

Old 06-22-19, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
You would need to check and fine tune for local HVAC requirements in your trailer but the numbers are fairly universal and vary based on what you are doing.
Regardless of the use you would still need a means to change the air.
Depending on your air change requirement you could use a simple heat recovery ventilator in addition to airconditioning but for certain applications it may not work.

Old 06-22-19, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
My partner had originally designed it with four 13500 BTU roof mounted units per compartment
You mean one unit per compartment.

If they are "sealed compartments"....... I agree with the four units. Possibly smaller units.
9.2k - 11k - 13.5k are Coleman rooftop unit sizes. Overall vehicle height is another factor to keep in mind.
One plus with four units is that you don't need to run all four unless you need them.

You mentioned power and that is another big consideration. Shore power vs generator.