Normal exhaust temperature of portable AC unit?

Old 06-20-19, 08:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Normal exhaust temperature of portable AC unit?

Hi,

I have a new LG 1400BTU portal AC in the garage. Hooked up to the vents (12.5"x5") that have a slotted cover. I measured the outside vent to be 139 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that normal? Also there is some back pressure as the drain hole had hot are blowing out of it before I put tape over it. The vent slots on the bottom have a lot of air coming out, the top a little bit. Should that slotted vent, which is wider and taller than the vent provided with the unit, be okay to use?

TIA!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-19, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
I don't know what you are trying to say with the vents since we don't know what AC you have. LG has made many, many different air conditioners. Is it a single or double hose unit? The exhaust temperature will vary depending on conditions but it will be hotter than the air in the room.

Old 06-21-19, 10:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LP1417SHR single hose. The vents are the slotted ones you find in the garage of all these homes built out in the desert, closed thing that looks like it is gable louver vents.

Old 06-21-19, 11:05 AM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
These units aren't made to be connected to any vents, they're stand-alone.

The exhaust temperature will depend on the temperature in the garage (given its pulling air from garage to cool the condenser) and the design of the unit.

This style of unit is horrible inefficient and capacity is far lower than stated.

You would have much better results with a dual hose unit if existing one can be returned.

Old 06-21-19, 03:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
Keep in mind that a single hose portable AC has four sets of vents. Two are sucking air in and two are blowing air out. One is the outlet where your hose connects. This will blow hot air outside (causing the room to depressurize and suck in hot air from outside making the unit very inefficient). One grate is where air enters that will eventually get blown outside. Then there is an air intake grate where air enters that will be cooled and blown back into the room. Then there is the last grate that blows out the cold air into the room.