Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

AC compressor fan went out need help on how to hook up a new universal Dayton

Old 06-29-19, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Last year my outside unit started having issues. First a fan blade broke when I was on vacation, coming home to a house that was 98* inside, with the compressor unit having wobbled 2-3ft off its pad due to the no longer balanced blades. Next the capacitors went out. After having a friend in the business help me out we got it running. However shortly after the fan motor just gave out, Im 100% sure its the fan motor due to it making a loud noise and was almost completly seized up. Lucky for me that happened right when it was cooling down. My same friend came back took a look and disconnected the old fan and brought it with him to test. I have never heard on seen him since (crazy). Now its back to 100* days and I need some help and can not afford the $900 quote from a local company. Im also in a bad spot not knowing how the the old fan was hooked up. Complicated story I know lol but this is where im at.

I just recently went to harbor freight and bought a universal Dayton fan with the same specs as the old fan (lucky I had a picture of the name plate)
I have pictures i can include of the unit control board, wiring diagram, new fan, and old fan. Please let me know what i should post to help.
Im very confident in doing most things like this but understand universal isn't always a plug and play deal.

My outdoor unit is a Haier HC36C1VAR 208/230 V AC
New Fan is 1/3 hp 3 speed same as old however I think that might have been aftermarket as well

Please let me know if you have any ideas Thank you

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

06-29-19, 10:22 PM
Houston204
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I might be mistaken here but it looks like you want to remove a condenser fan motor and install a blower motor.

Seems like a very bad idea.
The condenser ( outdoor) fan motor will not have exposed windings like and indoor fan motor ( blower motor). It could catch on fire.

Is the new motor even the same voltage?

The wiring diagram that you posted has both an indoor and an outdoor fan motor. Which are you trying to replace?

Old 06-29-19, 03:27 PM
pics my set up

Here are a few pictures of the current set up......

Name:  a1.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  a2.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  a3.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  111.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-01-19 at 09:41 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 06-29-19, 03:32 PM
pics of the new fan and cap

Picture of the new fan and cap
Name:  20190629_171010.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.69 MB

Old 06-29-19, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I might be mistaken here but it looks like you want to remove a condenser fan motor and install a blower motor.

Seems like a very bad idea.
The condenser ( outdoor) fan motor will not have exposed windings like and indoor fan motor ( blower motor). It could catch on fire.

Is the new motor even the same voltage?

The wiring diagram that you posted has both an indoor and an outdoor fan motor. Which are you trying to replace?

1hottxn, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-01-19, 06:57 AM
Im glad you caught that. You are correct. Going to bring it back and see what my other options are. Thank you for the very helpful reply!!!