AC still whining after fan motor/capacitor replacement

Old 07-03-19, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC still whining after fan motor/capacitor replacement

I have a Goodman GPC1330H41CA that started emitting a low screeching/whining sound last week. I've lived at my home for a little over a year now, the AC was installed 5 years ago by the previous owner. The sound started last week out of nowhere so I researched possible causes and assumed it was the fan motor based on what I had read.

Ordered a new motor and capacitor, swapped them out this morning. The noise is still there, it sounds like it is possibly coming from the compressor underneath the fan motor but I can't find anything loose or any visible leaks anywhere. However at this point the problem appears to be above my pay grade so I'm sure I will need to call someone. The unit itself seems to be running perfectly fine otherwise.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar problems or knows a possible solution that I haven't tried yet. The noise has not gotten worse, can't be sure if its metal grinding or not. Sounds kind of like air being pinched out of a balloon so that's why I thought possible leak if the valves/pipes/whatever are corroded.

Thanks for any input, have a happy 4th

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-19, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
That appears to be a packaged unit, That means it will have two fans in it. One fan is for the A/C condenser and the other is the main blower for the house air flow.