Through the wall AC replacement question

Old 07-04-19, 08:32 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Through the wall AC replacement question

Hello -- I need to replace my mother-in-law's failing through-the-wall AC unit. Tribute to GE -- the one she has was manufactured in 1983 and has worked well since! The challenge I'm facing is that the size of the GE unit is 3.5" taller than the size of the replacement units I can find. She lives in a condo, so I don't really have rights to adjust the exterior of the building. And the exterior is brick, so I'd like to use the existing sleeve even though it is taller than necessary. What's the best approach do solving this problem? Do I center the unit vertically in the sleeve (by placing it on a 2x4 or something to elevate it a bit)? How do I seal the 3.5" gap that will exist at the top if I don't center it? What's the best way to trim out the interior?
Old 07-04-19, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,592
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I would install the new unit in the bottom of the opening and install blocking on the top side to fill the gap but that's just my preference. You can use 2x4's or even a 4x4 if the dimensions work out to fill the gap. The exterior can be finished with flashing.
Old 07-04-19, 10:57 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 71,669
Received 3,330 Upvotes on 2,989 Posts
Try checking with the condo association for replacements.
They may have a replacement model they use/recommend.
(or they could be completely clueless like most)

I had worked in my grandfathers garden apartment complex. I was constantly searching for thru the wall replacements and would know the best available models by trial and error.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: