ceiling fan spin direction?

Old 07-07-19, 01:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan spin direction?

hi all!

i know the typical wisdom is to spin your ceiling fan counter-clockwise in the summer, which will create a breeze on the occupants, and drive the cooler air on the floor outwards and upwards, to aid in cooling the upper part of the room.

but in my ~26'x28' combination kitchen/dining area, with a vaulted ceiling, ~16' high peak across the center of the room, i am not certain this is the best idea. there's one fan centrally located in the room at the ceiling peak, ~13' from the floor. and the supply registers are all on the floor, at the perimeter. and, i don't want to spin the fan at its fast speed, as i have parrots that are not caged, and i don't want to take the chance of hurting them. (and the few times that i have spun the fan fast, to experiment, you can't really feel it that much, due to its height.) so i am thinking that, in this situation, it's simply better to have it spinning clockwise, slowly; to help move the air, and draw the cooler air upwards.

other factors:
- there's one 12"x12" return register centered on one of the walls below the peak, also at ~13' high.
- there are two 20"x20" returns in the hallway, that this space connects to; one at the floor, the other at the ceiling. i typically have the floor return closed in the summer, and the ceiling return closed in the winter.

this room was an add-on, before i moved in, don't hassle me about supply registers only on the floor, etc.

any comments/suggestions/etc. are greatly welcomed.

thanks!

doug s.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-19, 04:19 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Try it both ways and whichever direction is most comfortable is the way it should turn. Forget about any "rules of thumb" when it comes to your comfort.

Old 07-07-19, 05:00 PM
D
thanks, furd,

i am trying to discern what may be the most efficient. comfort is the same either way.

thanks again,

doug s.

Old 07-07-19, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
I have to agree with Furd.
I can't see either way being more efficient so pick the direction that is the most effective.

Old 07-25-19, 06:55 PM
R
I'd be concerned about having one of the return registers closed at all times. (Lower closed in the summer, upper closed in the winter) Seems to me if the system is sized for the load from 3 registers, you'll be hurting yourself all year long in one way or another.

I like to pull air upward in the summer, and push it downward in the winter with all registers (Supply and return) opened year round.

Regards, Pete H.

Old 07-26-19, 12:51 AM
D
thanks, ruger; i will check it out. the open return registers are quite large - 20x20; it seemed to me i'd be best puling the air from the ceiling in the summer and the floor in the winter. this is the first summer i've tried it this way, and i don't notice any appreciable difference in the unit's ability to cool; i can open up the lower return register and pay closer attention...

doug s.

Old 07-26-19, 04:59 AM
Received 69 Votes on 65 Posts
Hi, for what itís worth itís recommended that the fan be mounted 8-9í above the floor.
Geo

Old 07-29-19, 07:48 AM
R
Doug S. Just for clarity - I live in Az, and use a heat pump without the benefit of supplemental heating elements. What works for me in Az may or may not work elsewhere as far as fan direction goes, but it's worth mentioning about blocking return air ducts since that affects the heat load on your system.

I notice not much difference in the summer cooling season in terms of ceiling fan rotational direction, but a lot of difference in the winter heating season if the fan direction is 'wrong'. My supply and return registers are all in the ceiling.

regards, Pete H