Portable AC Unit only briefly blows Cold

Old 07-09-19, 07:59 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable AC Unit only briefly blows Cold

I need some help with my portable AC Unit, it is a Delonghi single hose portable unit. When I turn the unit on it takes a couple mins before the compressor kicks on and than it will start to blow cold air. After blowing cold air for 2-5 mins it sounds like the compressor (or what i think is the compressor) turns off, and it blows hot air for 10-15 mins, before it starts to blow cold air again, and than repeats this cycle.

- I know it is not the thermostat, because the room is about 85 and the unit is set to 65 degrees.
- i took off the shell, and all of the fans are in good shape.

I am a little lost, when it comes to trouble shooting beyond that, so any help is appreciated.

Old 07-09-19, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Delayed compressor turn on is normal in many units. It keeps the compressor from short cycling during a thermostat change..... or a momentary interruption in power.

You don't know that it's not the thermostat. What it reads and how it reacts makes hard to tell. Typically there are two sensors in front of the evaporator coil and right behind the filter. One sits directly on the coil and senses freeze up while the other one cannot touch the coil and senses room air. If you cleaned the unit you may inadvertently moved the sensors.

A model number would be helpful too.

Old 07-12-19, 11:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help Pete,

Model number is: PACAN140ES.WH-3A

I have two of the same units, one works great, however this one is giving me some trouble. As far as the delay in the compressor turning on, that is very normal, they both take about the same time before the compressor will kick in. After checking the thermostat on the one that works, they look the same, as far as position. the busted unit doesn't ever turn off as it would if it hit the desired temp. it just stops blowing cold air.

** UPDATE **
When I took the shell off I noticed there was a large build up of dust on the Evaporator coil, I cleaned that, and it actually seemed to help... for a bit.

Unit ran good for several hours, and than reverted back to the original problem, blows cold for a couple mins, than compressor turns off and blows hot, and than just repeats.

Obviously really really annoying, almost took a bat to the thing.... but figured that might not help much.

Old 07-12-19, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
There are several things that can cause that problem.
Obviously an airflow problem.
A kinked or blocked vent hose.
A defective control board.

I didn't find any actual wiring diagrams or service info. There may be a diagram inside the unit.... possibly pasted on the back of a cover. You will need to see if the power is cutting out to the compressor in order to determine if it's a compressor issue or control issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: