Contractor forgot to put in a floor duct?

Old 07-10-19, 11:21 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Contractor forgot to put in a floor duct?

Recently purchased a home that had been gut remodeled by the seller. After several months we have noticed a spot in the kitchen where the wood flooring has slightly changed texture and slats are pulling apart from one another a little. When I stand there I can feel that its a cold / warm spot (depending on the season). We do not have a duct anywhere in the kitchen. Closet duct is decently far away. Underneath the kitchen is a finished basement with a couple ducts in the ceiling, but they are not in a similar location.

So my theory is that a duct should have been put in the kitchen floor or underneath the cabinet flashing. Does this sound reasonable?

Given that the space underneath is finished, do I have any way to confirm this theory (without destroying anything)? The hot / cold spot is very close to cabinets, so my best guess is to drill down through the cabinet and see if I can explore that way, as such damage will be hidden from plain sight.

Or should I just call a professional? I'm not sure though they'll have any better way to know than I would. And I do not have any direct way to contact the original contractor (so its all out of my pocket).

Thanks!

Old 07-10-19, 11:59 AM
A
Received 83 Upvotes on 75 Posts
I've seen this before. Friend's house house was a flip and they covered duct in the kitchen with Pergo. Was a simple cutting of hole and dropping in a register.

Sounds like the floor is already damaged so find some replacement pieces and pull it up around where the damage is.

Old 07-10-19, 12:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,709 Upvotes on 1,526 Posts
I often use a thermal (FLIR) camera but if you can feel the temperature difference you don't need an expensive camera to confirm. I would get a endoscope or borescope camera. They are really inexpensive now and they can fit through a small hole. You could drill a small hole somewhere nearby but out of sight as much as possible and stick the camera in to see what's in the floor cavity. Then once you've confirmed that there is a duct laying loose you can come up with a plan.

Best would be if they used flex duct. That would allow you (hopefully) to cut a register sized hole in the floor and do all the work through the hole. If it's rigid duct you'll have to consider which way to go such as opening a bigger hole in the basement ceiling to allow room to work and make the connections.

Old 07-10-19, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
It's pretty common to run a duct up into the space under a cabinet... then just put a register on the front of the toekick. I would remove the toekick trim (it's usually a separate piece 1/4" thick) and cut a 2 1/4 x 14" hole in the cabinet toe area (which will be covered by the toekick trim if you happen to not find anything.

Using a flir is a good idea.

Old 07-14-19, 06:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I appreciate all the advice. But is it really an issue? I guess I'm having cold feet about tackling this. What harm could this cause long term?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: