A/C ice build up, please help troubleshooting

Old 07-14-19, 07:50 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C ice build up, please help troubleshooting

Hi folks,
This is my first summer after moving into this house. The A/C is running okay but has one problem, everytime after 40 min of running, the ice starts building up on the evaporator coil and spreading to the law pressure hose. I have checked the air flow, not much of restriction. The blower motor runs fine, it can run for hours with a good speed without problem. I used an app to measure the wind speed at the register, it runs at 9 m/sec for hours without A/C on. However, if the A/C cooling is on, it runs for good speed for 40 min then the wind speed start reducing coincide the ice forming. The temperature at the register goes from 70 degree F when A/C kicked in, and stayed at 70 for 35 min, then starts slowly going up from 70 to 74 and stays there unless ice was melt. I don't know what could cause this, low refrigerant? I live in south of Ohio, summer here is around 90F.
The heating/blower system made by Williamson and the A/C compressor by Ducane. The A/C compressor and evaporator coil looks like new or close to new.
Please help me troubleshoot.
Many thanks,
Frank

Old 07-14-19, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you've covered low airflow pretty well.
Unfortunately that leaves you low on a refrigerant charge.
You'll need to have the system checked for a leak and a recharge.

Old 07-15-19, 03:31 PM
F
Thank you so much Pete,
I'll call a service technician to do the leak test and charge up the system.
Thanks again,
Frank

Old 07-25-19, 07:21 AM
K
airflow, undercharged, or you may also have a liquid line restriction - capillary/orifice/txv, filter/drier, etc. so do not be surprised if that is mentioned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: